new computer

Sniper

Hey All,

Haven't been around for a while, been busy.

Got me a new computer, the other day and been exploring Vista. Didn't take me long to disable the UAC. LOL

I had maxed out my old computer. The new one still has room for upgrades, when I need them.

Here's the specs on my new toy.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66 Gig processor

16X Lightscribe DVD combo drive

Vista Home Premium 64-bit

NVIDIA GeForce 8400 graphics card

Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio sound card

750Gb hard drive

6 Gig of DDR2 PC2 6400 memory

100_0596b.jpg

Welcome back Sniper, sounds like you've got quite a nice setup. Core 2 Duo and nvidia graphics! :hmm:

Duo, my azz. This baby's got a Quad processor. There's 4 of them little beggars. Don't ask me why Intel calls it a Core 2. The first time I opened Firefox, I was gonna count to myself to see how long it took to open, " One thousan...shat, it's open." LOL

• Administrator

Ahh, I was looking at the sticker on your screenshot. Whoops :hmm:

I'm going to assume it's a 64 bit processor too.

As far as Firefox opening quickly. If you think Firefox 2 is opening fast, wait until you get your hands on Firefox 3!

Its called "Core 2" because its the successor to the "Core" architecture.

I would have gone with a dual-core at 3 GHz. Very few software are able to take advantage of a quad-core CPU. In most real-world scenario a dual-core CPU at higher-speed gives more performance, uses less energy and generates less heat.

I would have skipped Vista, and went with Ubuntu 8.04 (free) or used my old Windows XP.

I would have went for a 9600GT instead of a 8400. The 9-series is the latest generation of GeForce. x400 is a low-end card which offers poor performance. x600 is mid-end and performs pretty well.

I would have skipped the SB X-Fi, Creative sucks and can't even make half decent device drivers, they use deception, etc. Would have used on-board sound instead, most people wont notice the difference.

What you thought was an "SB X-Fi Extreme Audio" is actually just an old re-branded SB Audigy SE card. http://vendors.bluwiki.org/#Creative_Technology

Would have picked a 20x DVD (no reason really, just because I can).

Would have done as you and picked a 750gb disk too. Would have picked around 4-8 gb DDR2 PC-6400 RAM too, not because its needed, but because its so cheap anyways. You have more RAM than is probably useful for you, you should have prioritized a faster graphics card, your computer would work fine with 4 gb RAM too, or even 2 gb.

I would have built my computer myself. No way that I would bought some pre-built s*** from HP. They're pre-loaded with so much junk, that you have to re-format because it so slow. They don't give you a Vista DVD, they give you a "Recovery disc" (at most, often they only have a recovery partition and don't even give you a disc), and when you use that recovery disc, it re-installs Vista along WITH their pre-loaded junk.

For the less than what you payed, I would have built a machine that would smoke yours.

Ahh, I was looking at the sticker on your screenshot. Whoops :hmm:

I'm going to assume it's a 64 bit processor too.

As far as Firefox opening quickly. If you think Firefox 2 is opening fast, wait until you get your hands on Firefox 3!

Yep, it's 64-bit. This one should last me a while. As games improve, there'll be more showing up that take full advantage of the quad core processors. In a couple of years, I'll probably upgrade the graphics to something that hasn't even been designed yet. May even and a heavy-duty CPU cooler and overclock to around 3.6 - 4 Gb.

• 4 weeks later...

Holy crap Eldmannen, you sure must hate other people that feel happy with their new toys.

To resume your post:

... I would have gone with a dual-core at 3 GHz...

... I would have skipped Vista...

... I would have went for a 9600GT... ... x400 is a low-end card which offers poor performance...

... I would have skipped the SB X-Fi, Creative sucks ...

... Would have picked a 20x DVD (no reason really, just because I can).

... You have more RAM than is probably useful for you, you should have prioritized a faster graphics card...

... I would have built my computer myself. No way that I would bought some pre-built s*** from HP...

... They're pre-loaded with so much junk, that you have to re-format because it so slow... and when you use that recovery disc, it re-installs Vista along WITH their pre-loaded junk...

... For the less than what you payed, I would have built a machine that would smoke yours...

What about if he uses to render stuff in 3D, what if he doesn´t touch the latest games, what about if he doesn´t know how to build one? :wave:

Holy crap Eldmannen, you sure must hate other people that feel happy with their new toys.

What about if he uses to render stuff in 3D, what if he doesn´t touch the latest games, what about if he doesn´t know how to build one? :wave:

Hahaha! :P

Oh well, thats what I would have done.

That graphics card he picked is a really poor one. I don't play games much, I still picked a 8600, which is delivers pretty nice performance.

If he doesn't know how to build one, then tough luck. :P

Building computers is good, it is a great learning experience and you get more for less.

Building computers is good, it is a great learning experience and you get more for less.
Ask me and I´ll tell you :wave: .

Vista 64bit whoops XP hard by the way; I would try it if you have the change.