Best Image Manip Program?

I use GIMP, as thats what comes with Ubuntu.

I agree with you that the user interface is complicated though. I perceive it that way too.

Supposedly its good for people who have multiple monitors, as you can put the toolboxes on one monitor and the image on another.

GIMPshop is a modification of GIMP to make it more like Photoshop, by using a MDI interface, etc. GIMPshop is old though, and hasn't been updated in about 2 years, so its still based on legacy version 2.2 of GIMP.

I guess GIMP and Paint.NET are the best choices.

P.S About "Best Image Manip Program", GIMP actually stands for GNU Image Manipulation Program. :wave:

The GIMP gui has been improved somewhat in the latest version, though the basic design hasn't changed - just been tweaked a bit. I think it's a little easier to use, though it's hard to tell how much of that is just due to me getting accustomed to it.

I use GIMP, as thats what comes with Ubuntu.

I agree with you that the user interface is complicated though. I perceive it that way too.

Supposedly its good for people who have multiple monitors, as you can put the toolboxes on one monitor and the image on another.

GIMPshop is a modification of GIMP to make it more like Photoshop, by using a MDI interface, etc. GIMPshop is old though, and hasn't been updated in about 2 years, so its still based on legacy version 2.2 of GIMP.

I guess GIMP and Paint.NET are the best choices.

P.S About "Best Image Manip Program", GIMP actually stands for GNU Image Manipulation Program. :wave:

I see, well, doing alright then.

I hear the new version of GIMP thats due out or in the works has a completely re-worked UI.

I suggest you look at PhotoFiltre, a French Program but translated to English and many other languages. If you download all the plug-ins you might think you have PhotoShop or something similar. I've used it since finding it several years ago. It's freeware with a upgraded version for pay. Comments are that there is little difference.

If you review the program, believe you will like it.

www.photofiltre.com On the same page is a link to plug ins. Their pages are a little confusing to me. Work hard and you'll find all you want there.

I hear the new version of GIMP thats due out or in the works has a completely re-worked UI.
Appears you heard right, but it's not due out soon. There's an "unstable development snapshot", version 2.5.0; the release notes say:
With the help of the UI team, the Toolbox menu has been merged into the image window. GIMP now always keeps an image window open and the default configuration treats the toolbox and docks as utility windows.
Sounds like a major improvement to me.

The next stable release, incorporating these changes, will be 2.6 - suggesting there could be a whole series of 2.5 development builds first. The current stable build, just released, is 2.4.5; which I'm downloading right now. Release notes for 2.4.6 have already been posted; it will be another minor "bugfix" update (without any new features). I couldn't find any clue as to when to expect 2.6 to be released, doesn't sound to me like it's close to being finished.

I suggest you look at PhotoFiltre, a French Program but translated to English and many other languages. If you download all the plug-ins you might think you have PhotoShop or something similar. I've used it since finding it several years ago. It's freeware with a upgraded version for pay. Comments are that there is little difference.

www.photofiltre.com On the same page is a link to plug ins. Their pages are a little confusing to me. Work hard and you'll find all you want there.

He asked for an open source software, not for a shareware.

"PhotoFiltre Studio is shareware and is limited to a 30-day trial period. At the end of the 30-day trial period, if you want to continue using PhotoFiltre Studio you will need to purchase a registration key from the programs author. If, on the other hand you no longer want to continue using the program you must remove it from your system immediately."

Appears you heard right, but it's not due out soon. There's an "unstable development snapshot", version 2.5.0; the release notes say:
With the help of the UI team, the Toolbox menu has been merged into the image window. GIMP now always keeps an image window open and the default configuration treats the toolbox and docks as utility windows.

The next stable release, incorporating these changes, will be 2.6 - suggesting there could be a whole series of 2.5 development builds first. The current stable build, just released, is 2.4.5; which I'm downloading right now. Release notes for 2.4.6 have already been posted; it will be another minor "bugfix" update (without any new features). I couldn't find any clue as to when to expect 2.6 to be released, doesn't sound to me like it's close to being finished.

Yes, GIMP uses even numbers for stable versions and uneven numbers for unstable.

eg:

2.2 = Stable

2.3 = Unstable

2.4 = Stable

2.5 = Unstable

2.6 = Stable

I don't know when 2.6 will come, but I am looking forward to it.

"PhotoFiltre Studio is shareware and is limited to a 30-day trial period. At the end of the 30-day trial period, if you want to continue using PhotoFiltre Studio you will need to purchase a registration key from the programs author. If, on the other hand you no longer want to continue using the program you must remove it from your system immediately."

Yes, GIMP uses even numbers for stable versions and uneven numbers for unstable.

eg:

2.2 = Stable

2.3 = Unstable

2.4 = Stable

2.5 = Unstable

2.6 = Stable

I don't know when 2.6 will come, but I am looking forward to it.

Cheers for the info.

PhotoFiltre is not a shareware. FhotoFiltre Studio, which I did not mention, is a shareware. Need to view the web page to see. The only differience in the two that I can find is a minor tool in the area of clone.