May 2008 Desktops

After a really cold April here (it actually snowed a few nights!), I'm ready for some better weather - and this shot of Heidi Klum really evokes warmer climes to me. The color gradient I filled the rest of the space with is my first effort at using the "blend tool" in the GIMP - I think it came out rather well. :wave:

My desktop running the Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy Heron" operating system which is a Linux distribution which uses the GNOME desktop environment.

screenshotrq6.th.png

My desktop don't change a lot. It's almost always the same.

Poor you, you need a bigger screen.

You always have the worst desktop. :wave:

With low-res pictures that rarely covers the whole screen.

Wallpapers:

* http://gnome-look.org/index.php?xsortmode=...5c1229e6eef4ef2

* http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/teams/art.g...rg/backgrounds/ (really nice ones)

I refuse to use ready-made wallpaper, I want my desktop to be uniquely mine.

The pictures often don't fill the screen because there's a limited selection of shots in a horizontal format available.

I must say, you're desktop is a really ugly color, I'd get sick of looking at in a hurry. :wave:

I want a decent looking desktop, so I always use ready-made wallpapers. I want a nice desktop, but I am really crappy with graphics, and will never be as good as some professional artists, so I never make my own wallpapers, I always uses someones else. Now if its unique or not, I don't really care, as long as it looks good.

As for the color, yeah people say "oh, its brown, its ugly", and usually I would agree with that. I don't like the color brown, but I like this wallpaper and the Ubuntu theme, for some reason I like it despite tat its brown which I usually don't like.

Yeah, I agree it's boring, however there's a reason for this.

How often do you 'work' on your desktop? The only time I 'used' my desktop was to launch a program from its desktop icon, but for me this was a PITA and looked for a better way to launch my programs without having to continuously go back to the desktop.

When you open the screenshot, scroll over all the way to the right and you'll see docked to the edge a series of coloured tabs. These tabs contain all my regularly used programs and is set to 'Always on top' so that no matter what program I currently have open I can access whatever else I need.

As for the Samurize widget at the top right, this I only refer to when I boot my system as it shows me at a glance how many processes are running in the background before I actually launch anything else. I use this to stop any unnecessary processes. It also shows me at a glance just how much room I have left on my hard drive, apart from a few other things.

Cheers :wave: