Web browser to get 'privacy mode'

Capman

Microsoft is planning a "privacy mode" for the next release of its Internet Explorer (IE) web browser.

By clicking a button, users of IE8 will be able to limit how much information is recorded about where they go online and what they do.

Microsoft watchers have spotted two patent applications covering ways to manage the amount of information a browser logs.

When introduced the privacy mode will match features found on other browsers.

Article

"Microsoft watchers have spotted two patent applications covering ways to manage the amount of information a browser logs."

"By comparison Apple's Safari browser already has a privacy mode and developers working for Mozilla, creators of Firefox, are reportedly working on a similar feature for future versions."

Patenting already existing stuff ftw. Now if Microsoft just would sue Apple for infringing on their patents.

Of course, you can already set Firefox to clear private data when you close it, accomplishing the same thing. To do this on a per-session basis, not clearing all history and cookies, you could create a separate profile you use only for private browsing.

It would be a lot less trouble if you could just switch to private browsing mode, though. This has been under discussion in the Firefox community forever, I don't know why it's taking so long to implement.

• 3 weeks later...

I forgot, in Firefox 3 you also need to disable the "Awesome Bar" (aka Smart Location Bar) to browse without tracks. How to here:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.ph...859535#p3859535

A private browsing feature would be a lot easier.

You could star your favorite sites, then Tools->Clear Private Data. That would erase history and track from awesome bar, I think while preserve your favorite sites.

You could star your favorite sites, then Tools->Clear Private Data. That would erase history and track from awesome bar, I think while preserve your favorite sites.
Afraid not, clearing history doesn't affect the Awesome Bar. You can delete sites from it individually with the delete key, however.