dlhost.exe

RTZ

hey can someone tell me what this is i just noticed this in the task manager under processes is that normal. never saw it beforejust wondering if i reboot it disapears.

Googled that, the first thing that came up was "dlhost.exe is an advertising Spyware called IamBigBrother." I found that it was offered as parental monitoring software, but Symantec just calls it spyware:

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/...-070516-0957-99

dllhost.exe, on the other hand, is a legit Windows file. Are you sure it had only one l?

A dllhost.exe is a host process that allows a dll-based program (a COM+ application .dll, almost always) to run inside an executable process, mostly to allow another application to be able to access the COM interfaces it exposes via OLE/RPC (literally, it is a COM+ DLL HOST). It's not much different than a svchost.exe process (a Service HOST), and you should definitely use process monitor to see what is loaded in the dllhost.

Thank you cluberti ;) for that explaination that helped alot and i am now using process explorer and it is exactly as you explained, mostly to allow another application to be able to access the COM interfaces it exposes via OLE/RPC (literally, it is a COM+ DLL HOST). I APPRECIATE THE INSIGHT

Archived