Downloadable installation Disc?

Ultimate Predator

If my installation of Ubuntu goes well, I can see myself wanting to do a full install of it. However, I would like to have a Windows Vista installation disc. Now, as the serial number is unique to me, is it legal and possible to download an installation disc for Vista?

Not an illegal key, as I have a legal one, just the iso.files which I could burn, so that should anything happen I could reinstall Vista with my current serial code/key? And if so, where should I go?

I have a restore disk that acer had. You can download this safely though (http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/01/26/no-vista-installation-cd-you-can-still-download-a-vista-recover/), though I'm unsure as to how effective that would be. Also, I don't think you can activate the same code more than once, even if it is on the same PC. Saying that, some people reinstall windows all the time, so I'm not sure.

I think you're not allowed to.

Though, I find it a bit strange, because as I understand it, when you purchase a copy of Windows, what you purchase a license to use it.

Also, I think it is a bit of a scam that when you buy a computer, you pay for a computer with Windows, yet often you do not get a physical copy of Windows on a disc.

Check if you have the disc or any recovery CD. Else contact your computer vendor and ask them or a copy of Windows or a recovery disc.

If I was in your position, and was left with no options, then I would borrow the CD from a friend, or download it, because I'm no sucker, and I wouldn't pay again for something that I already payed for. Not encouraging anything, just saying.

If this computer is a laptop you may want to research the "load_cycle" bug that ubuntu and pretty much all other major distros have that will kill your laptops hard drive:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=591503

The fixes also cause other issues like over heating, potentially worse deterioration, or it could cause your battery to drain faster.

Also the current linux ati driver is garbage. So if it has an ati card in it, don't bother. The latest ubuntu did get my sound working though with a little config needed, but that was a first.(I used to have to do a bunch of stuff in the command line in order to get it to work.)

If this computer is a laptop you may want to research the "load_cycle" bug that ubuntu and pretty much all other major distros have that will kill your laptops hard drive:

The fixes also cause other issues like over heating, potentially worse deterioration, or it could cause your battery to drain faster.

Interesting link. After skimming that thread for a bit, I have to say that you're overstating the case a bit with "will kill your laptops hard drive" - not all laptops are affected. Trying to figure out which ones don't have this problem could take a while, that thread goes on forever. SSDs are immune, though - but since they're so expensive, and have a shorter lifespan to begin with, that's not a solution.

Interesting link. After skimming that thread for a bit, I have to say that you're overstating the case a bit with "will kill your laptops hard drive" - not all laptops are affected. Trying to figure out which ones don't have this problem could take a while, that thread goes on forever. SSDs are immune, though - but since they're so expensive, and have a shorter lifespan to begin with, that's not a solution.

There is a lot more too it than just that link. There are various bug reports about it in the ubuntu database.

ALL mechanical laptop drives have been said to be affected, this is because of the way they operate to protect themselves from bumps/shocks. I'm not even going to try to explain it in depth but I will say that even the computers that dell is shipping preinstalled with ubuntu are affected by this. (Inspiron N series is what their called).

There is a lot more too it than just that link. There are various bug reports about it in the ubuntu database.

ALL mechanical laptop drives have been said to be affected, this is because of the way they operate to protect themselves from bumps/shocks. I'm not even going to try to explain it in depth but I will say that even the computers that dell is shipping preinstalled with ubuntu are affected by this. (Inspiron N series is what their called).

Probably has more todo with power-saving or something, I don't know.

Seems disk shock protection was included in kernel 2.6.28.

http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_28#head...9b84f2c44d00c2b

Woah. If this is true, I'll have second doubts installing this on my laptop.

Archived