IE 8 - Really Fast?

IE8 Really fast? :) There are already complaints about IE8 final on XP being much slower than RC1. Seems to be quicker on Vista.

As for security, well it already got taken at the Pwn2Own contest two days ago, confirmed as a zero-day exploit by the Microsoft MSRC yesterday.

IE8 Really fast? :) There are already complaints about IE8 final on XP being much slower than RC1. Seems to be quicker on Vista.

As for security, well it already got taken at the Pwn2Own contest two days ago, confirmed as a zero-day exploit by the Microsoft MSRC yesterday.

Ah, so not as good as they say.

The reactions I've been receiving are very mixed.

As Eldmannen says, it is more standards compliant. That is to say it is better at rendering web pages as they should be rendered (instead of following Microsoft's non-compliant quirky ideas on rendering) and as a result is closer to the other browsers, like Firefox (and other Gecko-based), Opera (Presto-based) and Safari & Chrome (both Webkit-based).

However, speed seems to be platform dependant; stability is all over the place and compatibility with existing software is not quite there yet. No doubt this will be all ironed out in time and the very early adopters are those who are always fiddling with their systems anyway, so its reputation will probably climb after these early knocks, but it is too early to tell.

Strictly speaking, it's RTW (Release To Web) not RTM. Don't blame me for the RTW terminology, because that's what Microsoft call it.

It will appear on Windows Update quite soon, but Microsoft have not yet defined what "soon" means. I expect it means April or May.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Turns out some of the speed issues which are seen more on Windows XP are because of programs like Spybot's Immunization feature. I'm not sure if SpywareBlaster is a contributor though I believe it could be since they both apply sites to the Restricted list.

Both Spybot Search and Destroy and SpywareBlaster have been regularly reported/mentioned as causes for IE 8 being slow.

There seems to be a conflict between these applications' restricted-zones lists and IE 8's SmartScreen security function.

Of course, it doesn't happen with IE 7 -- only with IE 8 -- so I prefer to throw the flak at IE 8 rather than Spybot or SpywareBlaster.

• 3 weeks later...

I did notice a bit of a slowdown on IE8 on my my new 4GB Vista Home Premium system but after I Goggled about IE8 issues I find it works fine after I applied the fixes I found but it does use more memory though and each tab has its own address space so that whatever happens in one tab does not affect the other from what I read.

I have given up on Spybot S&D as it has not kept up with the times but it still is OK for some people so I prefer Malwarebytes Anti-Malware in conjunction with my avast! anti virus application and WinPatrol PLUS.

• 3 months later...