• Administrator

How many of you use WOT? Have you heard of it before? Do you like it? What do you believe the ups and downs are?

Though I personally do not use WOT, I have seen it in action and tested it thoroughly on my other computers.

The WOT add-on is a safe surfing tool for your browser. Our traffic-light rating symbols show which websites you can trust for safe surfing, shopping and searching on the web.
  • WOT is free and easy-to-use
  • Our active community has rated millions of websites
  • Ratings are updated every half hour
  • Our trusted sources provide extra protection against phishing, spam and other Internet scams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BuhjlOBzu8

Please discuss.

I use WOT - though I turned off the warnings, which I found excessive and annoying. I think the colored rings which indicate the rating of a site are sufficient. Configured that way, it has no noticeable adverse effect on browsing speed (and I'm on dial-up).

It's not infallible, but it's a reasonably reliable guide to which sites are trustworthy - and which you should be leery of. The ability to bring up the site's scorecard for more details is helpful, too.

One negative - some people seem to be downgrading sites based on politics; I've seen activist sites with bad ratings I'm sure they don't deserve. When I went to enter a comment on this I found that others had noted the same thing. Whether this is an organized campaign to trash these site's reputations, or just rabid partisanship, I couldn't tell you; but it's something to bear in mind when using this.

Yeah, that's what it is, the man is out to get me.

The truth is this is an imperfect concept - rating sites, and should be used as a guide, not a rule. I reported to the MSFN forums last year or so that I was getting a warning about the link to the HFSLIP list. In fact, yesterday I was looking at the RaidMax Smilodon case and Google warned me about raidmax.com saying - "This site may harm your computer". The warning is still present as I am writing this post.

The partisans have it out for HFSLIP and RaidMax too I guess. :)

I didn't say that politics was the only reason sites get unjustly downrated, but I've seen it too often on those type of site to believe it's coincidence.

I've seen other sites with worse ratings than I think they deserve as well. On the other hand, I don't think I've ever seen one with an "excellent" rating that isn't trustworthy.

I agree; use it as a guide, but don't take its ratings as gospel - after all, any idiot can submit a rating, and there's no shortage of idiots surfing the Net.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

As greenknight has said, I too have seen how "politics" and other minor quirks can interfere with trusting the rating system. Nothing is perfect but this is definitely a nice layer of defense and security.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 years later...