Building a Rig from Scratch

Omega

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=12614074

That's a tentative list of all the parts I'm looking at.

Will probably fork over the $20 to get the 1TB Caviar Black.

I'm open to suggestions about most anything as I have never attempted to build a computer before.

Oh, and my budget is ~$900 after rebates.

Omega.

Did you consider an AMD CPU? You could get more performance for the money.

If you want maximum performance and don't care what it costs, then Intel is the only choice. If you have to stay within a budget, though, AMDs give you more bang for the buck.

I would have picked a case from Antec, Lian-Li or Fractal Design instead.

You picked an ASUS motherboard, and I think ASUS is a good choice.

I would not pick a motherboard with the old Intel P55 chipset, because I would get the newer Intel P67 chipset instead (just be sure to get B3 stepping, because B2 is bad).

I think the Corsair TX power supply is a good one, and a nice choice. I have a Corsair VX and is happy with it. Lately I seen more of gold and platinum certified PSU and would consider that.

As an owner of an Intel-based system, I would seriously consider an AMD-based system, because it is much cheaper. You can get a 6-core AMD cpu for cheaper than 4-core Intel cpu.

Corsair memory seems ok.

Personally I would maybe perhaps consider ditching the DVD-RW, and use a old spare one if I have. It is rarely ever used, only for install the OS, which can nowadays also be done with USB memory.

You picked a 500 gb HDD, but I think 1-2 terabyte disks are pretty cheap these days too. Personally, I don't use much disk space and would rather go for an SSD, but I understand that others need disk space and for them a HDD makes more sense.

Personally I'd skip Windows 7 and save $99.99 and use Ubuntu instead (but might not be a good idea if you're an avid gamer), or you might wanna check if you have an old copy of Windows. I heard Windows 8 is coming in 2012.

Wow, this is exciting Omega, a first build.

You don't need to get top of the line parts but, get name brand reliable component parts and you'll be glad down the road, they'll last - AMD, Intel, ASUS, Corsair,... Btw, don't fall apart if you get a bad piece, expect it, simply RMA it and resume the build.

Definitely do your homework on your case, a flimsy, poorly constructed case can cause you problems. IMO, make sure it passes the twist-test, all the holes are located where they need to be etc. I would investigate 'preparing a new case for assembly', you'll be glad you did, especially if the case is less than perfect :)

Make yourself a parts list, and lay out your parts prior to assembly - verify the contents. Use good accessories, case screws, fans, cables etc.

Once you have your parts list, visit the manufacturer websites and get all the latest drivers before you build - have them ready to go.

Some people feel it is exaggeration when it comes to static electricity and pc parts (not me) - touch the case periodically to discharge any static electricity before picking up a part. Be careful how you handle the components, no twisting, grab them from the corners (pc board), keep your hands off the component parts (electronics), they can break off relatively easy. Keep your hands clean when working with electronics - oily fingers / palms kill the life of electronic components.

Get yourself some tie wraps, they come in all lengths and colors, tie your long cables out of the way. If your up to it, label the cables (or connector), so you know where they will go - cble1/hdd1, cble2/dvddrive etc.

You may want to put a small colored dot next to each screw hole on your case so you know where the mobo attaches to it. Pay attention to the case I/O shield.

Don't crank down the screws, especially on the motherboard to the case, or drive the hard drive screws deep into the side of the drive - make sure you have the correct length screws for the right part, snug is good - don't strip them. In fact, if you have a tray with multiple cavities, I would label each compartment - hard drive screws, mobo/case screws etc.

Use the parts list - check off each stage as you go - double check your work. The component part documentation will come in handy as well - have it ready.

You will find it really easy to build a computer, get it right the first time and you'll be happy, and have fun, enjoy the process.

I don't see a monitor on the list. If you can, I would get no less than a 24". What about sound :)

... http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=19&name=Monitors

... http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=36&name=Sound-Cards

Btw, do you get any Newegg newsletters, Gorilla Deals, if not sign up.

Ok, I can hear everyone now - what overkill :crazy:

Woah, lots of feedback!

Well, everyone, I already ordered everything (lol). There were some deals this weekend and I figured I'd get it over with.

What changed:

I went with the new Sandy Bridge Core i5 3.3ghz just to be up to date with the latest technology.

Honsetly, I was not really aware of the lower price point for AMD CPUs, but I was recommended to go Intel by a friend who has a lot of building experience.

I did opt to buy Windows, as the whole point of this machine is to game. I eventually decided to knock my budget up to $1000, going for the Geforce GTX 560 Ti.

And yes, I am definitely buying a monitor soon, although there is no rush for me to do so. Strongly considering this one at the moment: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236117&cm_re=asus_23-_-24-236-117-_-Product

And thank you for all the tips on building a computer. I've been in the case of this one a few times, so I know about static electricity and such. I think the biggest things I'll have to remember are cable management and just to take it slow and triple check things.

EDIT: Some things I forgot. I decided to not go for the 1TB Caviar Black drive and save the $20. I justified this pretty easily, as I have two external hard drives in the house that are perfect for long time storage of movies, games, TV, etc.

Buying the new burner was not a big deal for me either as it was only $20 this weekend. I have a reader and burner in this computer, but they are both pretty old. I'm pretty confident in the brands I chose as well. I mean, my PSU comes in a carrying pouch. How could it not be quality? :D I've heard the case from Cooler Master is very nice too, the only con being the instructions were obviously written by someone in China.

... because I would get the newer Intel P67 chipset instead (just be sure to get B3 stepping, because B2 is bad).

Does anyone know, is that the pre-recall and post-recall stepping for the Intel 6-series (Cougar Point) chipset?

BTW Nice rig!

Same as Eldmannen, I like Antec cases (if you have the budget), but Cooler Master are pretty good at the price.