Karen of Karen's Power Tools has passed away

• Administrator

Saw this on another forum I frequent and felt I should pass it along as our community may know of her as well. RIP Karen.

Dear Friends,

I suspect that many of you have noticed that the last issue of Karen's Power Tools Newsletter was dated March 17, 2010, and you may have been anxiously awaiting another. It is with great sadness that I write to tell you of Karen's death on April 12, 2011, after a long struggle with several debilitations, including diabetes. I know that Karen touched many of you with her kindness, wit, creativity and encouragement. She was a loving daughter, sister, aunt and friend. And she was a pretty darned good programmer, too. We are deeply grieving her loss. For now, Karen's server is still running, the programs she has written can still be downloaded, and donations can still be made through the website. We are also working to fill all CD orders that have been submitted or mailed. It is difficult to make business decisions while grieving. So, at this point, I cannot say what will be the future of KarenWare.com, except to say that we will certainly continue Karen's commitment to safeguard your privacy as shown at the Privacy link of KarenWare.com. Many of you have already written many kinds words of condolence and comfort. Please know that we greatly appreciate you. If you care to make a contribution in her honor, she was a long-time supporter of The Dohnavur Fellowship, a special children's ministry in southern India. You can learn more about them at www.DohnavurFellowship.org. All we ask is that you remember her whenever you take the case off of your computer, contemplate removing entries from your Windows Registry, listen to Bob Wills or Riders in the Sky, or wave and say 'Hi!' to anyone on the 'net. May God richly bless you, as He has all those who knew Karen.

Bill Kenworthy

Karen's brother

Karen died in her sleep on Tuesday, 12 April. Here is a link to the obituary that appeared in the Tulsa World:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/ourlives/article.aspx?subjectid=426&articleid=20110415_Ob_obsl_7911942&archive=yes

This is so strange, I'd heard the news about a week ago and wanted to post something here but I thought the demographic of Lunarsoft would be too young to know of her or appreciate her contribution to the world of freeware tools.

I remember Karen from the Winmag.com days, never corresponded with her, read her newsletter a bit and always appreciated her free tools. I needed something to create a list of my ripped Cds to flac collection - Directory Printer was perfect!

Karen seemed like a sweet soul.

<snip>... the source code of her work

There is a VB6 Source Code download below the application download link.

Sweet. Hopefully someone picks up where she left off and continues her legacy so that her legacy can continue to benefit people after she's gone.

• 2 weeks later...

Like others, I use several of Karen's utilities but the bit that makes me laugh, every time I read it, is the opening sentence of the description for Karen's Alarm Clock:

Turn your $2,000 computer into a $20 alarm clock! Set up to five different alarm times. Wake up to a beep, any wave or MIDI file, even a track from your favorite audio CD. Great for travellers, or the executive who likes to sleep on the job. :)

I just love the idea of devaluing a computer 100-fold to do something an ordinary alarm clock can do.