Windows Live Messenger

Tarun

• Administrator

Windows Live Messenger (Beta)

Windows Live Messenger will be the next-generation MSN Messenger. It will have everything you already love about Messenger—your contact list, emoticons, and instant access to your friends via text, voice, and video—plus new ways to connect and share documents with almost magical ease. As always, it will be free to download Messenger and use most of its features.

What you will be able to do with it
  • Send all your familiar winks and emoticons, plus some cool new ones
  • Have real-time text, video and voice conversations*
  • Call your friends’ mobile or land-line telephones by signing up with a designated Microsoft partner to make affordable domestic and international calls
  • Easily share documents of all kinds with Sharing Folders
  • Make free PC-to-PC calls with other Messenger users

*Both parties must have compatible Web cameras, speakers, and microphones.
    **Windows Live phone call is provided by a Microsoft partner.

System Requirements
  • Multimedia PC
  • Pentium 233 MHz process (500 MHz recommended)
  • Microsoft Windows XP
  • Minimum 128 MB of RAM (256 MB recommended)
  • Up to 50 MB of hard disk space for installation, 15 MB to run the program.
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6 SP1 or later must be installed on your computer, though it does not need to be your default.
  • Minimum 800 x 600 screen resolution

Windows Live Messenger Beta FAQ

Voice calling? How will that work?
    This feature will let users who sign up for Windows Live phone call (provided by a Microsoft partner) to easily call landline and mobile phones. You will be able to set up a Windows Live phone call account through the Messenger interface and start making calls within minutes. You will be able to purchase minutes upfront, then add minutes when your balance runs low. One of the great things about this will be the affordable domestic and international calls you will be able to make. You will still be able to make PC-to-PC calls for free, with no need to sign up for Windows Live phone call account, so long as you and your Messenger contact both have compatible speakers and microphones (or headsets).

What are Sharing Folders?
    Sharing Folders will be a new and simple way for you to share personal photos, documents, and files with your Messenger contacts. You will be able to create a Sharing Folder by simply dragging files onto a contact name in Messenger. This will create an exact copy of the files on both you and your contact's computers, and create a Sharing Folder that can be accessed from Messenger, and on the desktop.

I can already share documents using e-mail. So what's the big deal?
    The Sharing Folder will be easier than e-mail for sharing photos and documents. In a Sharing Folder, any time a file in the folder is added, modified, or deleted, those changes will be synchronized with the person you’re sharing with. The Sharing File icon in Messenger will also show you a gleam on a contact so you will know when a Sharing File has been updated. And it’s a simple drag-and-drop to share files, even simpler than the “send file” and “save as” functions you are already familiar with in Messenger. The Sharing Folders will work pretty much like the PC folder experience you already know, so it will make sense right away. Just like in Windows, you will be able to drag-and-drop, get different views of files, copy, paste, etc. You will be able to access a Sharing Folder from your desktop, to manage files whether online or offline. And a Sharing Folder requires virtually zero setup or configuration, and efficiently handles file synchronization without any fuss.

Can you please tell me more about Video Conversations?
    Well, first of all, it will be way improved: You will be able to get live, full-screen (640x480) video, with fully synchronized audio. Those old science fiction movies with TV phones? It will be like that, only better. You and your contact will need compatible Web cameras, microphones, and speakers (or headphones).

That’s all great, but what if I just want old-fashioned instant messaging?
    We’re all over it. Windows Live Messenger will still give you immediate text chat, with customizable fonts, emoticons, animated winks, a white board, and more. And, as always, your Hotmail contact list will be accessible through Messenger, and you will be able to see who has recently updated their Spaces blog—look for a little gleam next to their name.

As the invites come in, if you would like one send a PM to the person with the invites.

Current Total Invites: 0

Note: Invites will be for ACTIVE forum members only.

ive been using it, and so far, i havent had a crash//bug yet. The memory issue is the same way, ive been fine. Ive heard people mentioning that if you leave it idle for long periods of time (5+ hours) it will start sucking up memeory, so its just a matter of exiting completley when your done. not that complicated.

im still in love with it. :realmad:

Im on aim at least 7-10 hours a week, so i use it pretty regularly

)corjello(

looks pretty awesome, can't believe i missed this post lol. I still use AIM 5.5 with Aimutation (even though its not being developed anymore...) with an occasional Yahoo for Webcams.. and MSN very rare if yahoo and aim webcam doesn't work.

I really wish someone would make 1 Universal IM Client that supported every protocol and all the features.. lol. or make everyone go to a certain IM program! lol.

Tarun, how often do you get invites.. and how many do you get at a time... also.. do you know if you send out 1 invitation if that person will receive invatations as well.. cause if so i would distribute the ones i got here on this forum.

Dont you guys have to work? :cuddle:

work is overrated...

lolz. na i'm currently unemployed, actually at 21 years old i've never had a job lol. I hate workin with other people, mainly cause everyone i meet i want to gouge out their eyeballs with a fork cause of their stupidity...

but coming this feburary I gotta go out and get me a job, even though i hate public places or being out in public all together..

Don't tease me :hug:

I'm not sure when their suspected release date is, but I'm quite worried I won't get to see this promising looking IM until that time! ;) I'm pretty sure theres few of us tht are excited anyways because most people are AIM users in the US! I've been using MSN since I was about 11 and IMO is a better program than AIM. On the other hand, I don't even want to talk about windows messenger! :cuddle:

hey Tarun, I see you have it....wanna forward an invite this way bestest buddy :P

Your friend,

Ryan

Is it still a hotmail account used to sign in?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, you don't need a hotmail account to sign in (at least on the msn7 version). All you have to do is validate another email, I have used gmail with msn, the only drawback, of course, being that you cant access your inbox directly through the program. I use gmail notifier for that :P

If you need any invites for gmail, which I'm sure everyone and their grandmother has, don't hesitate to ask for one!

Your friend,

Ryan

work is overrated...

lolz. na i'm currently unemployed, actually at 21 years old i've never had a job lol. I hate workin with other people, mainly cause everyone i meet i want to gouge out their eyeballs with a fork cause of their stupidity...

but coming this feburary I gotta go out and get me a job, even though i hate public places or being out in public all together..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The more people I meet , the more I love my Dog....... punk.gif

• 1 month later...

i think instant messaging is kind of like over capitalized. Someone needs to bring all the companies together and form a single IM Network. The basic functionality requirment would be text communication, and then each specific client could still fight for customers for extra features. I just think its a pain that each platform has a diffrent network. (Google Talk and Aim are making progress). I mean, theres one telephone network and tons of companies right?

)corjello(

• Administrator

I've been using the WLM Beta for a few weeks now, and I love it.  I'd suggest it to anyone who's interested.

I haven't had any problems with it as of yet.

They just released 8.0.0562, it's ugly...

i think instant messaging is kind of like over capitalized. Someone needs to bring all the companies together and form a single IM Network. The basic functionality requirment would be text communication, and then each specific client could still fight for customers for extra features. I just think its a pain that each platform has a diffrent network. (Google Talk and Aim are making progress). I mean, theres one telephone network and tons of companies right?

)corjello(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree wholeheartedly! One thing I like about Google Talk (the only IM I use), is that it is small, simple, and fast, without omitting necessary features. And everyone who has Gmail accounts also knows about Google Chat, or integrating Google Talk into your email. Now how cool is that?!

Plus, since it saves your conversations, it basically renders emails obsolete. I haven't tested it out yet (actually not sure if it is finished; still Beta I think), but if it lets you send attachments, I will never have to email again (unless, of course, I have to break down and email someone who doesn't have a Gmail account :) )!

I've been using the WLM Beta for a few weeks now, and I love it.  I'd suggest it to anyone who's interested.

I haven't had any problems with it as of yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They just released 8.0.0562, it's ugly...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The beta is pretty. It looks nicer than MSN Messenger 7.xxxx.

I couldn't find 8.0.0562.