ActiveX and Class Issues

Impi

Hello all - its been awhile

I have Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 - Service Pack 3

I recently installed a 500gig h/drive and transfered most of my programs to the new hard drive. I also installed Samsung Studio off the disk that came with my cell phone and during the process a "pop-up" asked if I wanted to update. I said yes - BIG MISTAKE!

At the very end of the update my screen suddenly went blank and the system re-booted. A message came on the screen about a critical error and then Windows continued to load. I let it run until the end and then ran Advanced Systems Care to see what the problems were.

I have attached a copy of my screen where you will see under Details: Registry Fix - ActiveX and Class Issues - Damage Level "High".

As I am not sure how serious this is and don't not know much about computers, I did not want to take a chance and click repair. Please help as I am unsure what to do.

I need something that will not only remove these issues but restore my ActiveX.

Regards - Impi

Hi James

It is Advanced SystemsCare5 by IObit. When I did the scan I used the Quick Care and not the deep scan.

I have attached the screenshot document again - not sure why it didn't go through.

I will be very greatfull for any help you can give.

Regards - Impi

Hi Impi

Looking at the Editor toolbar, if you scroll over the icons until you find Image (bottom row, middle), this is where you would paste the link to your image if it was hosted offsite, say ImageShack or Kwikpiks.

Your pic is on your computer so you need to attach it - I don't see the option available in the basic editor so you need to click More Reply Options to the right of Post. Click Choose Files... and locate your image - you should see the attachment. The great thing about this editor option is the ability to Preview Post.

Here's the Posting Help Topic

Hi Mike

I have followed the instructions as per the Posting Help Topic however there are two areas of uncertainty.

The first is that it says "press the choose button" - as can be seen below there is no choose button unless browse is the button.

The second issue is it says once you have selected the file you want press Attach The File. It then says unless there are any errors (which you will receive as a message) you will see the attachment. I don't see the attachment?

I have sent this anyway so please let me know if no attachment. The attachment is a Word Document.

Regards - Impi

Attach Files

Used 0bytes of your 150K global upload quota (Max. single file size: 150K)

Hi Mike

I have followed the instructions as per the Posting Help Topic however there are two areas of uncertainty.

The first is that it says "press the choose button" - as can be seen below there is no choose button unless browse is the button.

The second issue is it says once you have selected the file you want press Attach The File. It then says unless there are any errors (which you will receive as a message) you will see the attachment. I don't see the attachment?

I have sent this anyway so please let me know if no attachment. The attachment is a Word Document.

Regards - Impi

Did you find the advanced editor by clicking More Reply Options - do this first. Then, simply click the Choose Files... button under Attach Files. This will open the file dialog box, find your file on your computer, highlight the file and click Open - you should see the file listed below the editor.

Click Preview Post to see your post, and the attachment... I don't think you can preview attachments if you're editing the post, they should be listed as attachments though. Note: When you attach a file it counts towards your total allowable upload - 150KB - make sure your attachment is small enough.

If the image is too big you can upload it to ImageShack, Kwikpiks, imgFTW, and others. You will then use the first approach which is to click the Image icon in the editor toolbar and paste the link - here's an example.

You could also simply paste the link to the image - http://www.kwikpiks.com/files/137/ibanez.roadstar.sm.png - this way might be best for large images, it wont need to load in the user's browser allowing the thread to load faster, and it wont count towards your allowable upload.

Attach the document just like you would the image, which by the way, I thought we were talking about an image.

Hi Mike

I did exactly what you said however it threw up a this message:

Screenshot.docx

You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file

The document I am trying to attache is a word document where I copied/paste the screenshot image.

I guess the forums don't allow the .docx file extension. If you have the image, .png, .jpg, etc and it's under 150KB size just attach it using the advanced editor.

I tried to upload a file the other day and I got a similar message. I'm not sure if there's a list of allowable file types, if not there should be...? I zipped up my .doc file, it was accepted. You may want to zip up your document (docx) and upload it as a zip. 7-Zip is free and creates zip files. It was a .7z file that was rejected so don't use that extension.

You can get 7-Zip here - http://www.7-zip.org/ - or you might try the portable version found here - http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/7-zip_portable

Hi Mike

After the .docx failed I tried 7-Zip - same response - not permiited to upload this kind of file. I then tried ImageShack and ImageShack wouldn't accept the file???

Not sure where to next.

Regards - Impi

Hi Impi :)

I think we've veered off track with all the file types - we need to use one - an image file (.jpg or .png). In post #1 you said you had a copy of your screen, most would assume a screenshot. James asked for you to try again attaching the screenshot in post #4. What made this more difficult is you put the image inside a .docx file no longer making this a screenshot, and not a very friendly file type for internet forums.

Can you provide a screenshot of the error...? If you don't have the original image and only have what's inside your .docx file - can you get a screenshot of your .docx file opened...? Make sure all the information is visible.

You can use the Prt Scr key on your keyboard to take a picture of your whole desktop - not likely needed. A better idea is to open your .docx file and have all the error message visible, in this case the original image file, then use Alt + Prt Scr to take a picture of the active window. Save the picture as a .jpg or .png file - upload this to ImageShack and provide a link in your post.

Here's some info @ Wikipedia - Screenshot - scroll down to Microsoft Windows.

Hi Mike

I have now saved/uploaded to ImageShack.

I tried to do this via IE however I kept getting error messages (possibly due to the ActiveX situation) and ended up going via FireFox.

Hope this works

Thanks for your patience and your time

Regards - Impi

Impi

All you need to do is upload the image to ImageShack, you will be provided links to the file, post a link to the uploaded image... Here's an example of what you need to do...

greenknight posted this pic on our forums - http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/708/dec2011dsktp.png/ - notice to the right of the image it lists 'Links to share this image' - post one of the links given, the Direct Link would be nice but the primary link, Link, is fine.

I have edited the above and will resend as per your suggestion. I had every intention of closing the account once you said you had seen the copy.

I have sent via the Link - do I give you the details or are you able to access?

Regards - Frank

I have edited the above and will resend as per your suggestion.

I didn't know I said resend anything. If you've uploaded a screenshot to ImageShack, you need to do this only once, simply provide a link to the image - I gave an example in post #16 on how to find links - you have 2 good choices. Simply copy, then paste it in your post.

I had every intention of closing the account once you said you had seen the copy.

Your decision, though an account to upload images is helpful if you're having problems and you need to provide screenshots. I would definately change your account password first thing since you made the info public. Speaking of public, make sure in your ImageShack account preferences images are visible to the public, at least images used for troubleshooting purposes.

Btw, James_A needs to see the image, he asked for it in post #4. Sadly, I was only trying to help you post your image and I'm not doing a very good job of it.

I have sent via the Link - do I give you the details or are you able to access?

I'm not sure what you mean by "I have sent via the link".

The only way anybody can see the screenshot is if they logged on to your account, I surely didn't do this - this is not the appropriate way to view your image. You need to read what I wrote in post #16 - I gave you an example of how to post a link to an ImageShack hosted image.

I'm sorry but I'm really confused as to why the difficulty with providing a screenshot - either attach it to your post or upload it to a hosting site and provide a link. I may be part of the confusion, the way I explain things :) - time to let someone else in here, I'm out of advice.

• Administrator

I would trust nothing that IOBit does, especially after they stole Malwarebytes definitions from Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

CCleaner is good and safe to use for registry cleanup.

Thanks Tarun

What I have done is a system restore to prior to the installation that caused the problem. Will this have restored my ActiveX? I seem to be having a lot of problems with EI. Are you saying I should run CCleaner and that will sort out my ActiveX.

As per my previous posting I did upload the screenshot to ImageShack - will I get a response?

Regards - Impi

The screenshot doesn't seem to have much information about the actual problem. I do see some Google stuff, Update and Toolbar - did you install these yourself or did a piece of software do it without you knowing? My first suggestion would be to not let anything update itself, get the update on your own and if you want to update then do it.

What version of IE are you running? Firefox is a much better and safer browser, you might look into using FF8 but keep up on any updates to IE like Killbits. How do you get updates for XP?

A start with your issue is to determine exactly what kind of ActiveX errors you are having, what you are doing when they occur, where are they occurring, forum, website, and with what browser.

What happens when you reboot now, do you get this error again and again.

I attached a screenshot of CCleaner running a check of my registry on ActiveX issues only. You'll notice that details are given to help me pinpoint the problem - 99% of my issues are portable programs no longer installed, I can tell by the path, L:2011, these entries I can safely remove. A few I will take a closer look at.

You may want to install CCleaner, there's a link on the forums - I would use the portable version, your decision. Look through the Options tabs. You may not want the program to start with Windows or check for updates - Settings. You want to be warned before you make changes right :) - Advanced - notice the registry prompt...? If you could run CCleaner and have it scan for ActiveX issue only and post a screenshot that may be better than the IOBit program. Make sure all the details are visible - see my attachment. Don't delete anything, just see what CCleaner finds...!

Also, now that you've rolled your system back to a previous date you will need to pay close attention to how your system functions, if you have any problems you will need to be specific about what you are doing and the problems you are having for anyone to help you. In fact, a case could be made that the error you saw when your system rebooted had nothing to do with ActiveX, not that you don't have a problem, but different from ActiveX.

I am running IE7 however I think I will move to FireFox. When I use IE depending on the website I go to, just about every one I get an error message and IE shuts down. When I use FireFox I don't have that problem.

I don't allow updates unless I am warned first. There however may be programs that automatically update such as Google?

I have run a full scan on the registry with CCleaner and posted it on ImageShack. There appears to be only one ActiveX issue which surprises me considering IE closing down? Nothing deleted.

I have been monitoring my system since the roll-back and the only time I seem to have an error message is when I use IE.

Hope this helps

http://imageshack.us...eenshot2rh.png/

What does event viewer have to say, any errors regarding ActiveX or IE? Can you capture the error next time you're at a site - btw, what websites cause this? I would put all IE settings back to their defaults and disable any ActiveX addons. Was there a dump file when Windows rebooted after the installation of that Samsung program?

Btw, did you have any of these issues prior to installing the Samsung program from your phone's disk, you might try the Samsung forums if their program is the culprit?

... Btw, James_A needs to see the image, he asked for it in post #4. ...

Yes, I did, but it's already been deleted without me ever seeing it! All I get now is:

removed_photo_big.png

So, now, we're nowhere nearer understanding the problem than we were 5 days ago with the OP.

(No fault of yours, mIkE)

Putting to one side the question of ActiveX being good or bad and also whether IOBit software is also good or bad, I'm not convinced, at this stage, that any Registry Cleaner is going to successfully repair a damaged Registry.

In the absence of any better information as to what the problem actually is, I suggest that the best course of action is to do what was actually done in this case, which is to use System Restore to take Windows XP back to a point in time BEFORE the Samsung Studio, or Samsung PC Studio, update was applied.

If anyone else reading this needs to know, System Restore is run as follows:

Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> System Tools >> System Restore

"Restore my computer to an earlier time" is already selected by default, so just click "Next >" and follow the instructions on-screen to restore the computer to an earlier time.

Archived