Windows Media Player 11

Mangix

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Vi...Player-11.shtml

anyone wanna test it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Holy crap!!! 22.9 MB?! Can anyone say "bloated"?! That is literally twice the size of v. 10!

I didn't see anything about it being a beta, so is it finally finished? If so, I'll probably upgrade to it, but if it ends up being huge and slow, I'll roll back to v. 10.

Although a firm release date for Windows Media Player 11 has not been announced as of yet, an unsourced article claims that Microsoft is planning a Public Preview Beta of Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP on 17 May 2006 with a final release coming in June 2006. Please note that Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP was leaked on to the net on 12 May 2006.

don't bother dling. it's crap. i'll stick with my pretty foobey.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SIGH!!!

Here I go again :P

[rant]Why is it crap??......

If you're going to make comments like that, please follow them up with why it's crap, or why you think it's crap.

Posting replies like yours doesn't help anyone with trying to make an informed decision about whether to get it or not.

[/rant]

To my understanding the aim of Lunarsoft is to give people an insight to not only CCleaner issues, but also provide a portal where people can come and ask questions about specific software/hardware/issues and receive an appropriate reply.

With giving short terse answers like 'it's crap' will not endear folk to bother to come back and seek further help as they'll go elsewhere for answers to their questions.

Cheers :wish:

G'day folks,

well, as opposed to the informed reply about's it functionality that we've received :eyeroll:, I've downloaded and played with it.

Even though it is a large file, it's RAM usage is fairly low for all the functions that it has, and there's a swag of them.

I particularly like the different views you can use to show your files by either Artist, Genre, Year, CD Cover (if applicable), Date, etc, etc.

It's functionality is akin to WinAmp and with a short test period that I conducted, as stated, it's resource usage was actually less than WinAmp. But I'll keep testing/trying it till I can get a more conclusive result.

In a nutshell, although a large file, it's very nice on the eyecandy and fairly easy to use.

Even though it is a large file, it's RAM usage is fairly low for all the functions that it has, and there's a swag of them.

It's functionality is akin to WinAmp and with a short test period that I conducted, as stated, it's resource usage was actually less than WinAmp.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

RAM usage low? it's at least 22MB on my comp. and most of that comes from its skinning functionality(needs to be killed)

also that's weird. because with winamp, i get at least 11MB.

also if you want to know why it sucks, i'll tell you. no, in fact, i'll show you.

sshot61vo.th.png

please tell my why Demigod is referenced 3 f***ing times. if i used foobar2000 or maybe Winamp, this wouldn't happen. the skin also looks really ugly along with other crap. i've also uninstalled URGE but it still shows it up. also annoying.

It's functionality is akin to WinAmp and with a short test period that I conducted, as stated, it's resource usage was actually less than WinAmp.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

RAM usage low? it's at least 22MB on my comp. and most of that comes from its skinning functionality(needs to be killed)

also if you want to know why it sucks, i'll tell you. no, in fact, i'll show you.

sshot61vo.th.png

please tell my why Demigod is referenced 3 f***ing times. if i used foobar2000 or maybe Winamp, this wouldn't happen. the skin also looks really ugly along with other crap. i've also uninstalled URGE but it still shows it up. also annoying.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm, weird as with running both WMP11 and WinAmp concurrently, WinAmp is using about 5-8 MB more and it keeps loading/using more the longer I have it running. Guess some of my setting might be a little awry, will muck around it with it this weekend.

As for using 22MB, I'm not overly fussed seeing I'm running 1GB of RAM anyway, but yes I can see that it would be an issue with those only having 256MB available.

As for the skin, well, I guess Windoze isn't renowned for making eyecandy stuff, that's why there's so many talented folk out there that can make skins. :D

As to it referencing Albums more than once, I'm taking a stab in the dark here, but will repeat Tarun's quote "it is a beta" and therefore am guessing this would be on of the bugs that need to be ironed out.

And thanks for posting a comprehensive report on what issues/problems you've encountered, this makes for not only more interesting reading, but it also depicts problems that have been encountered already and will give other people a better understanding of the program and will allow them then to make an 'informed' decision about whether to get it or not. Thanks again :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sshot61vo.th.png

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As to it referencing Albums more than once, I'm taking a stab in the dark here, but will repeat Tarun's quote "it is a beta" and therefore am guessing this would be on of the bugs that need to be ironed out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well, Microsoft is known for making s***ware so don't hold your breath :wish:

Hmmm, so if Microsoft makes so much 's***ware' I take it you're either running on a Linux or Mac system?.......

Oh, and wait! Your profile says you're running Windows XP Home Edition SP2...... :eyeroll: so much for being an exponent of not using MS products because they're so much 'crap'. Hmmmm, not going good for your 'argument' so far........ :D

And yeah you're right Microsoft makes so much crap that 85%+ of the home user world-wide population use MS instead of Linux or Mac (or any other OS system out there). That's target 2 of the 'arguments' blown out of the water :P

Doesn't mean I'm an MS fanatic, if there's a better OS out there that the normal numpty PC user like myself can use, I'd probably change over. But seeing there's not...... dots.png

'Nuff said!

if it uses too much resources, just minimize it~... i do this to my WinAmp and it uses only 3+K of resources... :P as for whether the interface of Windows Media Player 11, pretty or ugly, is all personal preference... because i am doing multimedia based design during my study and i understand that it is not possible to impress everyone especially when it comes to design... some people will say "what are you doing...?" and others will say "wow! nice"...

as for me, i will stay with my little WinXP until i purchase a new computer that will support WinVista... but it wont happen so soon... :wish: too bad many programs i am using now only run on Windows platform... if not i will switch to Linux since they are free...

if it uses too much resources, just minimize it~... i do this to my WinAmp and it uses only 3+K of resources...  :wish:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Winamp does that because it's minimized to the tray. you can't do that with WMP(well, not that i'm aware of).

Hmmm, so if Microsoft makes so much 's***ware' I take it you're either running on a Linux or Mac system?.......

Oh, and wait! Your profile says you're running Windows XP Home Edition SP2......  so much for being an exponent of not using MS products because they're so much 'crap'. Hmmmm, not going good for your 'argument' so far........ 

And yeah you're right Microsoft makes so much crap that 85%+ of the home user world-wide population use MS instead of Linux or Mac (or any other OS system out there). That's target 2 of the 'arguments' blown out of the water 

Doesn't mean I'm an MS fanatic, if there's a better OS out there that the normal numpty PC user like myself can use, I'd probably change over. But seeing there's not......

i want to run Linux but i need a lot of free time to get my other comp set up. since i'm always lazy... . also i'm thinking of getting an iMac with Mac OS X 20.5(Leopard) when it comes out because let's face it; Mac OS X is the most visually pleasing OS.

i have to use WinXP because there are a lot of programs that i can't live without.

well it's not like i want to have WinXP installed. i've been using my comp for 4 years and i'm not planning to not use it soon. besides, my dad is in love with MS.

also just on a side note, Microsoft can acually make software that isn't s***. I've been using Microsoft's Visual Studio for years and it's never let me down. however WMP does not fall into that category. ever since WMP7, WMP has went from bad to worse. that's why WMP 6.4 is the best version ever made(although Media Player Classic is better).

even if WinAmp is minimized to the taskbar, not to the tray, it still uses about 3+K resources... as for WMP, i believe is because the taskbar control is enabled...

but strange enough... you are the thread starter but now you are complaining about it... :wish: <--- see, i used this smiley~

Well, after playing with WMP11 all weekend, I must say it seems I've done something right in the setup as it never used more than 17MB of RAM, that's maximised and minimised, however, I have not yet played with the visualisation (don't like it, as I only need to listen to music, not see it :wish: ). Also, when minimised, although it does not go into the tray, it puts a 'mini' player on the taskbar. Once again, no difference in RAM usage. So, overall, even though it's a huge dl, it's not that much of a resource hog as we've been accustomed to from MS.

@Mangix - The reason it referenced Demigod those 3 times is because there's something screwy with you media tags.

I had this same thing happen with CCR, it was in reality on only 2 CDs, but because the media tags where screwed up, WMP11 divided it into 7 CDs. It took a lot of cursing and swearing before I figured out what was wrong.

Therefore in this instance with the multiple 'referencing', WMP11 is doing exactly what it should. It's categorising as per the information that "you've" supplied.

Having said that, anyone know of any very good tag editors? I've using the trial version of MP3 Tag Assistant Pro, but it's still not as friendly as I'd like.

In conclusion, if WMP11 comes packaged with a new system, I don't see any reason to go and get a different player unless your system is running at less than 512MB of Ram. But that is only my opinion

Cheers :P

@Mangix - The reason it referenced Demigod those 3 times is because there's something screwy with you media tags. 

I had this same thing happen with CCR, it was in reality on only 2 CDs, but because the media tags where screwed up, WMP11 divided it into 7 CDs.  It took a lot of cursing and swearing before I figured out what was wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

are you sure that the tags are screwy? it could be that WMP doesn't support the ID3 standard correctly. i've heard somewhere that WMP10 doesn't have correct ID3 support. but then again, i'm not sure if it was right or not. also, i use foobar's internal tagger which works with no problems. it even shows up correctly in Winamp.

there is also the fact that foobar2000 writes the strings as UTF-8 in the tags while many other programs do not. many other programs don't even support the UTF-8 standard. it's pretty retarted if you think about it because of the fact that the standard has been a standard for 5 long years. why nobody even bothers to implement it is a mystery to me.

btw: i'm not saying that WMP11 doesn't support UTF-8 tags. i personally have no idea if it does or not because WMP could be reading ID3v1 tags and not ID3v2. i need to do a little testing to do that but i don't feel like reinstalling WMP11. maybe i will in the future.

also, a good tag editor is mp3tag. works just like a charm. also supports a lot of formats.

I had this same thing happen with CCR, it was in reality on only 2 CDs, but because the media tags where screwed up, WMP11 divided it into 7 CDs.  It took a lot of cursing and swearing before I figured out what was wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

are you sure that the tags are screwy? it could be that WMP doesn't support the ID3 standard correctly. i've heard somewhere that WMP10 doesn't have correct ID3 support. but then again, i'm not sure if it was right or not. also, i use foobar's internal tagger which works with no problems. it even shows up correctly in Winamp.

there is also the fact that foobar2000 writes the strings as UTF-8 in the tags while many other programs do not. many other programs don't even support the UTF-8 standard. it's pretty retarted if you think about it because of the fact that the standard has been a standard for 5 long years. why nobody even bothers to implement it is a mystery to me.

btw: i'm not saying that WMP11 doesn't support UTF-8 tags. i personally have no idea if it does or not because WMP could be reading ID3v1 tags and not ID3v2. i need to do a little testing to do that but i don't feel like reinstalling WMP11. maybe i will in the future.

also, a good tag editor is mp3tag. works just like a charm. also supports a lot of formats.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I'd say your tags are somewhat screwy, I had a hell of a time figuring out why I had the same problem till I got a decent tag editor that handles 'everything' (see link below). Might want to check them again.

From my playing around with WMP11, it seems to support ID3v2, as it has a reasonable tag editor as part of it's internal workings. Not sure on whether it supports UTF8 though.

As for a good tag editor, the link you've provided is a good version, however, found one slightly better which let's you import 'art' files, that is, you're able to attach any pictures that you want which will be displayed by WMP11. The program I have now gotten is MP3 Tag Assistant Professional and works a treat.

The only problem that I've come across is that if you start another program, there's a definite 'break' in the song being played, guessing this is due to the focus being shifted and can be annoying, but I'll put this down to being a bug they need to iron out.

for the second and last time, my tags are NOT the problem. it's the idiots at Microsoft. when i deleted the entries in the media library, the went to the trash. after i recovered them, the album became whole and not 3 sepperate albums. although i did have another problem with an album called Sehnsucht. but that's because i chose it to be Sehnsucht and not Sehnsucht [Australian Tour Edition](it has another track called Stripped). but i'm not even going to bother playing with WMP11.

so as i said, every version since WMP7 and up has gone from bad to worse. but then again, this is only a beta. if it's not fixed in the final, then Microsoft's gonna need to hire smarter code monkeys.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...