Firefox 1.5.0.5 coming soon

Tarun

whats the significant changes in FF 2.0?

)corjello(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I know that they are adding the close boxes (X) to the individual tabs, so we won't need an extension to do it anymore.

Um... otherwise... more secure? Faster? Um... I think that's pretty much it. I believe they slashed the new bookmarking feature (the name of which I have forgotten) and won't be releasing it until a future version. Oh well, FF still pwns. punk.gif

Firefox 2.0 BETA - DOWNLOAD

- Close buttons now appear on every tab, and the close behaviour is slightly different

- Inline spell checking in text boxes

- Automatic restoration of your browsing session if there is a crash

- Search suggestions now appear in the search box auto-complete for Google and Yahoo!

- New search plugin manager for removing and re-ordering search engines

- Improved support for previewing and subscribing to web feeds

- New microsummaries feature for bookmarks

- Combining the extensions and themes managers into an "Add-ons" manager

- Updates to the extension system to provide enhanced security and to allow for easier localization of extensions

- New search service that supports Sherlock and OpenSearch engines

- Searching in input fields

- A History of recently closed tabs

- Support for SVG text using svg:textPath

- Client-side session and persistent storage

- New anti-phishing features

- New installer using the Nullsoft Scriptable Install System (NSIS)

The session restore feature can be configured to always restore sessions, via the Configuration Console (enter about:config in the location bar): http://wiki.mozilla.org/Session_Restore#Preferences

lokoike is right, the new bookmarks/history system (it's called Places, by the way) has been pulled, it's now planned for Firefox 3. It's in the Trunk development builds, but most of its features don't work yet.

Firefox 2.0 beta 1 wasn't released as planned, some last-minute regressions led them to set it back at least 1 day. A whole bunch of sites reported the release, but what's available are RC builds, not the final.

here is the change log for Firefox 2.0

- Built in Anti-Phishing protection

- Search suggestions now appear with search history in the search box for Google, Yahoo! and Answers.com

- Changes to tabbed browsing behavior

- Ability to re-open accidentally closed tabs

- Better support for previewing and subscribing to web feeds

- Inline spell checking in text boxes

- Search plugin manager for removing and re-ordering search engines

- New microsummaries feature for bookmarks

- Automatic restoration of your browsing session if there is a crash

- New combined and improved Add-Ons manager for extensions and themes

- New Windows installer based on NullSoft Scriptable Install System

- Support for JavaScript 1.7

- Support for client-side session and persistent storage

- Extended search plugin format

- Updates to the extension system to provide enhanced security and to allow for easier localization of extensions

Firefox 2 Beta 1 is now officially out, only 1 day late. The link we've got on the front page is the right build, so everything's cool.

Tarun's right, Firefox 2 is definitely faster. I've been running nightly builds of it for a long time, they just get better and better - except for a few that crashed. The Beta is stable, though.

Anti-Phishing protection? why do i get the feeling that they made that because of IE7?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol! I think FF has earned the right to borrow one feature from Internet Explorer, beins that IE has copied EVERY feature from FF in their latest version 7! :P

And of course, while IE catches up, FF prepares a slew of new goodies. I <3 Mozilla...

@ MrT: That new theme looks real slick! Thanks for the pic. I'm gonna switch to the new FF beta right now! And I don't even like betas!

i dont think BETA 1 have that theme... maybe the next BETA will have... but that will ultimately be Firefox 2.0 theme...

sorry my mistake :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i mean default theme... missing some words here and there...