MacBook Catches Fire...

Synapse

He said, "Bloody windows!" because he was trying to put pictures of the damage on the web, easy to do with a Mac (but I'm sure with Windows too, if you know how).

Anyway, this is an isolated incident and the guy had plenty of warning that something bad was amiss with his MacBook. It's a shame he didn't catch it in time. I'm positive Apple will give him a replacement MacBook asap, they are really good about that. The underdog always has to worry about PR!

It breaks my heart to see those photos...

(By the way, I am a MacBook Pro user.)

Many Dell laptops (etc) have exploded too.

It is due to faulty battery.

That is pretty creepy on how much it is damaged. A computer shouldn't be able to get that much damaged, I hope we will see computers with less mechanical components (such as hard disk and fans), and more cooler components that use less energy.

• Administrator

He said, "Bloody windows!" because he was trying to put pictures of the damage on the web, easy to do with a Mac (but I'm sure with Windows too, if you know how).

Anyway, this is an isolated incident and the guy had plenty of warning that something bad was amiss with his MacBook. It's a shame he didn't catch it in time. I'm positive Apple will give him a replacement MacBook asap, they are really good about that. The underdog always has to worry about PR!

It breaks my heart to see those photos...

(By the way, I am a MacBook Pro user.)

I got a digital camera, so I'll use it as an example. (Saying camera and computer are already on)

1. Plug in USB cable to camera and plug in to computer.
  2. Plug 'n' Play detects automatically, asking what I would like to do.
  3. Open as Folder, select pictures, click and drag to copy. Since I'm not on a Mac I can also right click and choose to Copy Here or Move Here. :cake:
  4. Upload pictures to Interwebs and posts them as needed.
Done.

On a Mac:

* Plug in USB cable to camera and plug into computer.

* iPhoto detects the camera automatically, (no driver installation necessary), asking if you want to import the photos (and movies, if you filmed some) and asks whether or not you want to delete them from the camera.

* Click "Okay" and check "Erase" (if you want them off the camera).

* Photos (and movies) are added to your iPhoto library and remain selected so that you can designate a new album if you wish, or you can move them to an existing album of your choice (such as "Vacations", "Kids", "Family", etc., or whatever albums you have created), if you desire.

* Your photos (and movies) are available in iMovie, iDVD, and iWeb for easy creation of slideshows, interactive DVDs, CDs, (that can be played on any DVD player) or uploading to the internet. They are also available for manual manipulation in your "Pictures" folder.

Done

So basically, Mac and PC do the same things, it's just easier and more elegant on a Mac =D

• Administrator

* Photos (and movies) are added to your iPhoto library and remain selected so that you can designate a new album if you wish, or you can move them to an existing album of your choice (such as "Vacations", "Kids", "Family", etc., or whatever albums you have created), if you desire.

* Your photos (and movies) are available in iMovie, iDVD, and iWeb for easy creation of slideshows, interactive DVDs, CDs, (that can be played on any DVD player) or uploading to the internet. They are also available for manual manipulation in your "Pictures" folder.

Done

So basically, Mac and PC do the same things, it's just easier and more elegant on a Mac =D

That's just a bunch of added crap. Not everyone wants their pictures automatically downloaded into public folders. A lot of people only want a few select pictures too. I'd be rather p***ed every time a Mac downloaded all the pictures when I just want one (or a small number of them) added to my computer. They certainly wouldn't go into a folder that I didn't want or use either. Stupid Macs. :\

Done

That's just a bunch of added crap. Not everyone wants their pictures automatically downloaded into public folders. A lot of people only want a few select pictures too. I'd be rather p***ed every time a Mac downloaded all the pictures when I just want one (or a small number of them) added to my computer. They certainly wouldn't go into a folder that I didn't want or use either. Stupid Macs. :\

Added crap? I don't see where it's any crappier than the Windows or Vista flavors of camera applications. To address your points in order...

Number one: The photos and movies are NOT downloaded to public folders, they are downloaded to YOUR personal directory on your computer, untouchable by anyone but you (and whoever has access to your account on your computer).

Number two: As for downloading a few select pictures, what's to keep you from deleting the ones you don't like AFTER downloading them, which makes it much easier to determine whether the picture is a "keeper" or not? (I would never base my judgement of a photo on what I could see in that little 2.5 inch screen on my camera!)

Number three: What folder that you didn't want or use? iPhoto organizes huge numbers of photos and movies, (I have 4,717 photos and 39 movies totaling 10 gigabytes on my MacBook right now) in a very fast, efficient and eye-pleasing storage solution. It also provides a method by which you can back up your photos and movies to DVDs or CDs, calculating how many (DVDs/CDs) you would need for the amount of photos and movies you have selected. (And of course, backiing up your photos and movies is highly recommended, no matter what operating system you are using!)

I personally depend upon iPhoto and find it to be the easiest, most efficient, fastest, and an elegant way to keep my photos and digital camera movies organized. You should try it sometime, I'll bet you couldn't help but be impressed. Please, take a look at iPhoto here:

http://www.apple.com/ilife/iphoto/

and iLife here:

http://www.apple.com/ilife/

• Administrator

Added crap? I don't see where it's any crappier than the Windows or Vista flavors of camera applications. To address your points in order...

Well, Windows doesn't automatically download the pictures to your personal "Pictures" directory. +1 for Windows. :cake:

Number one: The photos and movies are NOT downloaded to public folders, they are downloaded to YOUR personal directory on your computer, untouchable by anyone but you (and whoever has access to your account on your computer).

They are still downloaded. That is a pointless and stupid "feature". See my point above about why that feature would backfire when you only want a limited number of choice pictures.

Number two: As for downloading a few select pictures, what's to keep you from deleting the ones you don't like AFTER downloading them, which makes it much easier to determine whether the picture is a "keeper" or not? (I would never base my judgement of a photo on what I could see in that little 2.5 inch screen on my camera!)

Open the Camera's folder > View > Thumbnails. You can also preview them while they're still on the camera without any actual downloading. From there you can decide which you want to copy to your hard drive. No unnecessary downloading.

Number three: What folder that you didn't want or use? iPhoto organizes huge numbers of photos and movies, (I have 4,717 photos and 39 movies totaling 10 gigabytes on my MacBook right now) in a very fast, efficient and eye-pleasing storage solution. It also provides a method by which you can back up your photos and movies to DVDs or CDs, calculating how many (DVDs/CDs) you would need for the amount of photos and movies you have selected. (And of course, backiing up your photos and movies is highly recommended, no matter what operating system you are using!)

I personally depend upon iPhoto and find it to be the easiest, most efficient, fastest, and an elegant way to keep my photos and digital camera movies organized. You should try it sometime, I'll bet you couldn't help but be impressed. Please, take a look at iPhoto here:

http://www.apple.com/ilife/iphoto/

and iLife here:

http://www.apple.com/ilife/

Google Picasa and many others, for the win.