Need To Get New RAM - What Do I Get?

Ultimate Predator

I need to get new some RAM, but what should I get? This is my current RAM details (I think), and I was going to get some on ebay, can somebody point me in the right direction? Cheers, and can I get any amount of RAM I want?

[ DIMM1: 256 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM ]Memory Module Properties:

Serial Number None

Module Size 256 MB (1 rank, 4 banks)

Module Type Unbuffered

Memory Type DDR SDRAM

Memory Speed PC2100 (133 MHz)

Module Width 64 bit

Module Voltage SSTL 2.5

Error Detection Method None

Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh

Memory Timings:

@ 133 MHz 2.5-3-3-6 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 9-10-2 (RC-RFC-RRD)

@ 100 MHz 2.0-2-2-5 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 7-8-2 (RC-RFC-RRD)

Also, how much should I get? I've got 2 spaces in my PC for RAM, should I get 512 now?

Go with what Capman recommeded and go to Crucial Scan.

If you're like me, you won't have a manual and therefore can't consult it. With Crucial, it'll scan your system and recommend what you should/could get.

Cheers :hello:

My son has my old computer which had 256meg in it, he was struggling to play World of Warcraft on it, he kept complaining that it was lagging a lot, so he bought 512meg from crucial, stuck that in alongside the 256 and noticed a huge difference.

Ok. Well, I'll buy from them then. At least now I'll be able to use Photoshop.

May I ask, what will I notice much of a difference overall?

If you computer is often swapping data to the disk, then getting more RAM will make a nice difference.

My son has my old computer which had 256meg in it, he was struggling to play World of Warcraft on it, he kept complaining that it was lagging a lot, so he bought 512meg from crucial, stuck that in alongside the 256 and noticed a huge difference.

But I won't be putting in 512, just putting in another 256, to up it to 512.

You should still see a considerable difference.

Of course, if cost was no barrier... I tried their scan, they recommended upgrading to 1.5 Gb. That would be great, but it aint gonna happen. I didn't even bother to check out the price.

I was really there to look into a graphics card, but they don't carry anything that would fit in my AGP slot. Oh, well...

• 4 weeks later...

The RAM is crazy cheap, because all the manufacturers mass-produced RAM in the anticipation of Windows Vista, since it would require a lot of RAM, and they assumed a lot of people would buy Vista with plenty of RAM on their computers. Well, that didn't turn out as expected, so now they have a huge amount of RAM to sell, so its really cheap.

I just bought a new computer a little over a week ago. I bought 4gb PC5300 (DDR2) RAM. 4x stick of 1 gigabyte. Bought them in kits of 2x1gb. I had planned to go with 2 gb, but went for 4 gb because it was so cheap.

€69 for a kit of 2x1gb modules. But that is DDR2, DDR2 is cheap, because they was mass-produced in anticipation of Vista.

I bought 2 of those kits.

DDR is expensive, since they're not produced anymore, I believe.

Your best bet is to get it second hand on eBay.