Linux Distro Timeline

yea, i'm a Windows fanboy but saw this, and thought it was cool.... though the multiple spin offs is well.... annoying in my opinion... too many "flavors" (not to say windows hasn't had their share of versions, but least i can say "I have windows XP Home" and people know what i'm talking about =P ).

anyways.. lol.

Yeah, and anyone can make their own distribution.

Many of those in that image is unknown to many Linux users. Many of them, I have never heard of, and they're unimportant and irrelevant to most people.

Just because there are many flavours, you don't have to bother with them, you don't have to know about them, or try them.

There is a ton of lesser known distributions, then there are a few well-known distributions such as Ubuntu, Debian, Slackware, Gentoo, Red Hat, SUSE, etc.

If you are using any of the above mentioned then every Linux user will know what you mean.

So if you want to try anything out, then try Ubuntu, it is the most popular distribution, and you can try it out by running it directly from the CD, without having to install anything.

Yeah, and anyone can make their own distribution.

Many of those in that image is unknown to many Linux users. Many of them, I have never heard of, and they're unimportant and irrelevant to most people.

Just because there are many flavours, you don't have to bother with them, you don't have to know about them, or try them.

There is a ton of lesser known distributions, then there are a few well-known distributions such as Ubuntu, Debian, Slackware, Gentoo, Red Hat, SUSE, etc.

If you are using any of the above mentioned then every Linux user will know what you mean.

So if you want to try anything out, then try Ubuntu, it is the most popular distribution, and you can try it out by running it directly from the CD, without having to install anything.

yea a good portion of those i haven't even heard of (though i'm a windows fan, i still keep an eye on the linux stuff).

all the linux distro's i've tried:

Redhat -> ManDrake -> Slax -> Knoppix -> Whoppix(*) -> Whax(*) -> BackTrack(*) -> Mandriva -> Smoothwall -> Ubuntu -> and a couple others which i can't remember

* = not on the list lol.

none have stuck to me but was thinkin about trying Ubuntu again just cause i'm sick of Microsoft. (especially with things like this *not sure how legitimate it is, but i'll stop using Microsoft stuff if they go through with it.*)

No installation at all?

Could you install it if you wanted to? When I get my own PC, I'll definitely be looking into Linux.

You can run some distro's right off the CD.. called a "Live CD", don't need to install it, but it dumps everything into memory so when the comp turns off you lose everything, and it runs a little sluggish since it's all in memory.

It's easy to install from the Live CD's (i've done it with Ubuntu a couple times) but just a heads up, make sure you backup or make a recovery disc of your new comp before you do it.

my server comp (hp 310n) had a recovery partition and no way to make a recovery CD, forgetting about that i deleted the recovery partition (was a newb at partitioning at the time, and didn't know what it was).

I'd definitely run the Live CD a couple days worth and get the hang of it before you go repartitioning and everything. or try it on a computer you wouldn't mind losing data on. (backup stuff just to be safe)

How do you mean backup? Just files and stuff?

what i mean, is it's extremely easy to erase the hard drive partitions most computer manufactures ship with.. so before you go toying with linux it'd be wise to make the backup CD's/DVD's needed to recover your computer.

linux for the most part isn't very easy to use (my opinion). so if you go repartitioning your hard drive to install linux and find out you hate it you'll have a way to get back to windows.

The Live CD's are the best bet for you to try linux out, it won't write anything to your hard drive unless you run the Installer or mount the drive.. everything in ubuntu or various other distros are available right off the CD to test to your hearts desire, if you hate it just shut down, the cd ejects and you'll be back in windows.

No installation at all?

Could you install it if you wanted to? When I get my own PC, I'll definitely be looking into Linux.

Yes, the Ubuntu CD you can boot, and run directly from the CD, because it doubles as a LiveCD.

When you booted the CD, you can use Ubuntu, or you can click on the "Install" icon on the desktop, to install Ubuntu Linux to the hard disk.

Yes, it is possible to partition a hard disk so that it has multiple partitions so that you can dual-boot Linux and Windows.

Example,

Partition 1 (20 gb) - Windows

Partition 2 (20 gb) - Ubuntu Linux

Partition 3 (260 gb) - Files (music, movies, etc)

As Synapse said, the Live CD is the best way to test it. It does not provide the same performance as running it from the disk, and any updates, changes, etc gets lost when you reboot.

I think I'll try that. One other thing. If I did want to install it, could I not just have loads of different partitions, one for linux, one for windows, and one for files?

yeap, Eldmannen covered that better then i could've lol.

but.. you'd need to use a boot loader like lilo (short for Linux Loader) or GRUB.

what a boot loader does is when you first turn on your comp it'd ask

"1. Linux - Ubuntu"

"2. Linux - Ubuntu Safe Mode"

"3. Windows - XP Pro(or home)"

etc.. (not the exact values of the list but close enough).

so you can pick what you wish to run with..

and removing linux and keeping windows is easy as well. al ya have to do it delete the partitions for linux, then run fdisk /fixmbr.. think you have to resize the partitions.. (or if using Eldmannens example 20gigs wouldn't be used.).

Cool, but I will want a parition for Ubuntu before its installed.

The Ubuntu CD works as a LiveCD.

So when you insert the CD, it boots Ubuntu.

And in Ubuntu there is a partition manager, that you can use before installing Ubuntu and without first having to install Ubuntu.

• 3 months later...