Windows Installer

JOE

In the future, you might want to post screenshots in PNG (or JPEG) format rather than in PDF format.

I agree with Tarun, that you should get rid of the "mywebsearch" IE toolbar.

It just says there at "Preparing to install..." it doesn't get any further?

Try scanning with antivirus, anti-spyware, post a HiJackThis log, and maybe Dial-A-Fix.

In the future, you might want to post screenshots in PNG (or JPEG) format rather than in PDF format.

It was too big a file and I had to get it small

I agree with Tarun, that you should get rid of the "mywebsearch" IE toolbar.

OK

It just says there at "Preparing to install..." it doesn't get any further?

Try scanning with antivirus, anti-spyware, post a HiJackThis log, and maybe Dial-A-Fix.

I did antivirus, anti-spy and dial a fix

If you let it sit there, does it attempt to install anything? Or does it generate an error message saying it cannot find a source? If so, what is the source.

Good question.

What happens is after about 30 seconds the program opens

I can't say for sure but it seems it is all the microsoft programs

Like adobe opens right away and so does Eudora

BUT IE, MS Word, Excel etc have the windows installer appears before opening.

Even opening my computer has thw W Installer opening

Well from what you said, it would be a start.

It sounds like some program may have removed several of the MSI files that are stored for doing repairs and uninstalls.

I will try it this weekend hate to lose it all

What do you think of me getting VISTA and the latest OFFICE 2007???

Would that repair it??????

I like what Microsoft said - we wil try to repair it for $59.00 but if not I lose the money.

It is their product I am having problems with.

Thanks for your help.

Joe

Dial-a-fix won't fix it. You have to identify the package that is trying to repair itself and then remove its package with MSICUU.

When the progress bar appears, wait until the dialog asks you for media. Wait as long as you can - it should eventually ask you to insert a disk. Do not click cancel. Take a screenshot of that dialog so that we can see the package. Then you will download MSICUU and remove the package that is trying to repair itself.

Dial-a-fix won't fix it. You have to identify the package that is trying to repair itself and then remove its package with MSICUU.

When the progress bar appears, wait until the dialog asks you for media. Wait as long as you can - it should eventually ask you to insert a disk. Do not click cancel. Take a screenshot of that dialog so that we can see the package. Then you will download MSICUU and remove the package that is trying to repair itself.

Thanks

I agree - I would like to find what it is try to install

BUT all that happens when you try to open the C drive, any MS program or open a file that is a MS file, is the windows installer shows up. After some time it goes away and the program runs normal.

I uninstalled all the MS programs - and tried to open IE7 and same thing - windows installer-

Open Event Viewer:

Start > Run > eventvwr.msc

In the Application log I believe there will be MSI events which name the package that is being configured.

Take a look around.

Thanks

I did it - but not sure what to look for

I am doing this remotely - I will do some screen captures tomorrow and show you.

I appreciate the input

Open Event Viewer:

Start > Run > eventvwr.msc

In the Application log I believe there will be MSI events which name the package that is being configured.

Take a look around.

Hi and Thanks

I took some screen shots but I am not what to do with them.

Can you guide me.

Joe

could ya post the text or the screenshot of the contents of the MsiInstaller Warnings & Information. (from the third screenshot down) (double click the entries to see the details)

Is this what you need

I see the PDF request

Download MSICUU:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Once you run it, try to find packages named in each one of those "Warnings" that say "MsiInstaller". You found one, which is "PDFMakerForIE". Use the aforementioned MSICUU to remove "PDFMakerForIE". Look through the other "Warnings" for other names, and use MSICUU to remove those, too. Then reinstall whatever application this is.

Archived