Question on Spyware Terminator

RTZ

I relayed your accessment to my buddy and he heeded your advice and promptly removed it. He is now using SuperAntispyware with realtime protection. I also gave him your link to Spyware Warriors for future references. He said to thank you for the FYI.

It is known before to have been a "rouge anti-spyware".

Now it supposedly have gone legit.

But honestly, would you want anything with them todo?

Maybe other can forget like that, but I don't.

They've shown their true colors. Now they can pretend they're good guys, but I don't fall for that.

Trick me once, shame on you. Trick me twice, shame on me.

It is known before to have been a "rouge anti-spyware".

Now it supposedly have gone legit.

But honestly, would you want anything with them todo?

Maybe other can forget like that, but I don't.

They've shown their true colors. Now they can pretend they're good guys, but I don't fall for that.

Trick me once, shame on you. Trick me twice, shame on me.

Ad-Aware were a bad company once.

Ad-Aware were a bad company once.

Are you sure?

I have never heard that, Ad-Aware along with Spybot S&D were as far as I know the first products ever made to combat spyware, so I find it hard to believe that Ad-Aware was once regarded as bad.

• 2 months later...

Hey I just took a look at that spyware warrior site that has old out dated information looks to me like the website and even its forums are not maintained i wish you would be able to run that spyware terminator in a virtual please. my buddy still uses it and he never has a problem . I think a more serious look at this program and not just relying on old info they never even run any testing at that site any longer.this program i looked at the spyware terminator site the program has a couple million users.

• Administrator

While he may not have any problems, the fact that it was once listed as a rogue means it cannot be trusted. Why put someone at risk with something that was at one time marked bad, and you never know when it may go back.

i agree but those results and info are ancient and look at all the users plus why would a site like majorgeeks have it listed. please run a virtual with it im very curious my friend been running the program for a year. spysweeper as well but it catches stuff missed by spysweeper.

• Administrator

Regardless of how old the results are it has been blacklisted in the past which to me says it cannot be trusted, ever. I have tried it before (shortly after it was delisted) and didn't care much for it.

• Administrator

I guess you could look at it this way. Would you rather A) Use a program that is well known and has been clean/safe since release, or B) Use a program that at one time was blacklisted for shady techniques and possibly infecting users and/or even asking for money to remove infections that weren't there?

It sounds so good and clear in my head, but I'm having one of those moments where I can't clearly express my thoughts. (I'm too young for those! :) )

I guess you could look at it this way. Would you rather A) Use a program that is well known and has been clean/safe since release, or B) Use a program that at one time was blacklisted for shady techniques and possibly infecting users and/or even asking for money to remove infections that weren't there?

Minor point of correction, here. The reason the company was listed on Spywarewarrior as a rogue was because of an association with a known spyware or adware vendor, Ibis. Crawler dot com subsequently cleaned its act up. Some 18 months later it was de-listed.

The program (SpywareTerminator) has never come bundled with malware of any kind, although for a time there were a few sites or programs flagging it as such, because of this past association of the parent company. ZoneAlarm was one, MVPS Hosts was another.

I was a happy user of the program for about 18 months, indeed recommended it for a time.

It now comes bundled with the Crawler toolbar; installation is optional.

The reason I became somewhat disillusioned with it is because it appeared that the company were placing greater resource into marketing the toolbar than into improving the bugs/shortfalls in the program. That may have changed, don't really know.

At the time I last used the application over 6 million installs had been recorded.

It has quite a few happy users.

There's also no shortage of problem reports at its forum, unfortunately.

I haven't felt seriously tempted to try it again.

so I find it hard to believe that Ad-Aware was once regarded as bad.

I don't remember them being bad in the past, but maybe now..... :)

But seriously, I have a bit of a low opinion of the current AdAware. The parent has never been "rogue",though, AFAIK.

I ran it for a while, it didn't do anything nefarious. However, it was a PITA, particularly with multiple users accounts on the computer - the options had to be set in each account separately. The auto scans wouldn't just run quietly in the background, they'd interrupt what you were doing with a big popup to let you know it was scanning. It popped up way too many warnings about harmless programs, too; and it tied up too much RAM. I was relieved to get rid of it.