Very Bad Day

i had bad virus in PC it fried my keyboard, turned off my firewall without my knowing it did. My friend who owns It company came over and helped me He said this is happening a lot, i DECIDED TO GET NEW KEYBOARD ANYWAY GOT A Logitech WAVE keyboard it is far better then my cheap Dell one was . i will not be on the internet much anymore this does it for me. all the protection with security and it cost me good money today. and before you ask this. these are the APPS i had protecting PC at the time Malwarebytes with protection module working. Avira Antivirus Personal Edition Premium. Commodo Firewall. Also as secondary scanners A-Square free, Ad- Aware, and Spybot Search and Destroy 1.6. Spyware Blaster also i have had it nothing works browser was Opera 9.51 but i ditched it on reformat today using Firefox 3.0 0pera has Ask.com in it i do not trust anything anymore. So I will be around sparingly.

Sorry, but I find this post quite amusing. Especially the part about leaving the internet. :)

Viruses can fry keyboards nowadays?

I didn't know that. How does that work?

Doesn't sound plausible...

I use Ubuntu, it doesn't have any viruses, trojans, worms, spyware, adware, dialers, etc etc etc, and you don't need any antivirus or antispyware software.

Yes apparently so. infected the keyboard driver . and was already corrupting other parts of operating system it knocked out firewall without my knowledge was able to mimic the appearance that it was operational. this was one cruel virus also letting in 14 trojans and other 4 rogue apps my system was about to crash and burn caught it in time .

• Administrator

I honestly don't see how a virus could fry your keyboard. To the best of my knowledge, it's just not possible. In fact, I don't recall ever hearing of any virus or malware doing anything destructive to hardware.

well under inspection by my tech friend who does all the pc work for Mr. Devos the Amway millionaire and owner of the nba orlando magic he showed me and it infected and corrupted the driver. so yes it is exactly what transpired.

• Administrator

A corrupt driver would not cause physical damage to a keyboard though. :)

If the keyboard was fried, it would have had to endure an electrical surge or lightning strike. If that happened, the motherboard may also be suffering.

my use of the word fried is what is the wrong impression by it i meant unusuable it was fixed by him after reformat but i wanted the new keyboard installed anyway. so i apologize for not explaining that fully it was an embellishment sorry for not being clear on that.

I honestly don't see how a virus could fry your keyboard. To the best of my knowledge, it's just not possible. In fact, I don't recall ever hearing of any virus or malware doing anything destructive to hardware.

The CIH virus was vicious. It reflashed the BIOS and bricked the motherboard.

• Administrator

And by doing that Eldmannen, it was software level. So it flashed the BIOS software which had a negative effect on the hardware. I doubt it would brick the motherboard, as a jumper setting should be able to reset the BIOS.

My experience with Ubunto.

I have an old 500MHZ PIII, 256MB RAM 2 x 80GB SCSI hard drives, Soundblaster Live! and a CD reader running WinME quite happily and real fast.

Anyhow I downloaded and burned the latest non-beta Ubunto image to a CD-RW and loaded it up and it ran fine from the CD but real slow.

So I decided to install it which took over an hour then it asked me to reboot which I did only to be greeted with the dreaded:

Non system disk

Replace and strike any key when ready

I had to use FDISK to remove the partition then added it back after a reboot then installed WinME and the updates from Microsoft but now I can't get the Soundblaster Live! adapter to work and I can not find a driver anywhere.

I got fed up because now whenever I try to change the NVIDIA video adapter to higher than 640x400 the system powers down.

I took it to the local PC shop I deal with and asked if they can fix it and if they can to install XP Home on it.

A corrupt driver would not cause physical damage to a keyboard though. :)

If the keyboard was fried, it would have had to endure an electrical surge or lightning strike. If that happened, the motherboard may also be suffering.

From what I understand laserjet resides in the lightning capital of the US which is Florida.

I have been in Florida when a storm rolled over and left me as drenched as if I had just come out of a swimming pool because I could not find suitable cover away from the trees on the golf course and the Club house was far away.