New Avast - Still Lunarsoft's Recommended Anti-Virus?

Is the new Avast Free/Home Edition still the recommended anti-virus? I ask as when you Compare products, Lets you safely browse suspicious websites or applications, isn't ticked; http://www.avast.com...s-download#tab3

But I thought that was the whole point of having a real-time anti-virus, that si it stops viruses getting into your system from any area.

And whats the take on it having a real-time anti-spyware included? Is it good? If so, is there any need to have Windows Defender running?

Whilst I'm here, am I right in saying that when installing Comodo, it should be firewall only, and no anti-virus? Then anti-virus should be Avast. I'd like to think as mentioned above that Avats would take care of both viruses and spyware.

Cheers.

• Administrator

Yeah anti-virus is still avast.

With firewalls I've been leaning more towards Agnitum Outpost Free (just wish it was for Windows 7) after some of the issues Comodo has been having such as issuing security certs to known malware.

Yeah anti-virus is still avast.

With firewalls I've been leaning more towards Agnitum Outpost Free (just wish it was for Windows 7) after some of the issues Comodo has been having such as issuing security certs to known malware.

Hmm, will the wiki be updated to reflect this? Especially given how one has to specifically select firewall only now in the installation process.

Is the real-time anti-spyware provided by avast good? Is there any need to have any other real-time anti-spyware program running?

Oh, bit confused as to what is left out in the free edition over the pro edition http://free.agnitum.com/

What do you think regaridng my question about what avast leaves out in the free edition over the pro edition?

• Administrator

Yeah I'll need to update the wiki, unless you'd like to. :P

To be honest, what I've heard about avast is that everything has gotten better with version 5. The only other real-time anti-malware that I'd say is awesome and worth paying for is MBAM.

As for Outpost Free, pretty much what's listed is what it has/does not have. A few of the shortcuts/ease of use is a bit stripped down and the update feature isn't functional, but it still works wonders.

To be honest, I'd have to really sit down and compare the two. Unfortunately I've been short on time, but I will put it on my list. :P

Yeah I'll need to update the wiki, unless you'd like to. :P

To be honest, what I've heard about avast is that everything has gotten better with version 5. The only other real-time anti-malware that I'd say is awesome and worth paying for is MBAM.

As for Outpost Free, pretty much what's listed is what it has/does not have. A few of the shortcuts/ease of use is a bit stripped down and the update feature isn't functional, but it still works wonders.

To be honest, I'd have to really sit down and compare the two. Unfortunately I've been short on time, but I will put it on my list. :P

Afraid do not have the time to be editing the wiki, is real-time Windows Defender useless with Avast then? Should I uninstall Comodo from my home system and install Outpost Free?

Avast 5 dispensed with those stupid skins, which is nice. The new icon is ugly, but it is distinctive, which is a good thing from a practical standpoint - you aren't going to confuse it with anything else! It's got a silent mode, seems to scan faster...I like it.

Avast 4 also had anti-spyware capability, iirc.

I decided Defender was useless a long time ago, though it could have improved since then.