Guild Wars: Factions

Tarun

• Administrator

NCSoft today, officially announced the next chapter in the Guild Wars universe. Guild Wars: Factions will be released in the 2nd quarter of 2006. Factions will add all new areas to explore, new professions to learn, new skills and monsters, and of course a load of new missions. Factions will also expand greatly on the PvP side of things, and enhance current guild features further.

To give players a taste of things to come, ArenaNet also announced that during the weekend of January 20th through the 22nd, everyone is invited to play the Guild Wars: Factions Global Free-For-All PVP weekend! ArenaNet will give away free keys to access the game and of course all current players will have full access to this event as well. During this event, we will all get a small dose of the expansion. Two of the new professions will be made available, the Ritualist and the Assassin. Players will be able to use some of the new skills from these new professions as well. Players will also be able to play on the new PvP continent named Battle Isles which has many new quests, and a large explorable area.

The original Guild Wars recently (September 2005) passed 1 million copies sold in North America and Europe and continues to grow. The addition of Factions to the Guild Wars universe should make for a great time.

na it's not a D2 killer, at least in D2 you could PvP who you wanted, and force them to PvP, by going hostile on them while they were outside of town.. so long as they didn't open a TP or leave the game.

If Guildwars got PvP with whoever you wanted i'd be more interested. the current system is forced to 4 v 4.

also.. maybe if they balanced out the game some... if i'm a warrior hitting you with an axe or sword... what do you think would hurt more.. an axe to the throat cutting off your head... or an arrow in the leg...lol.

I would also like to see better armor, or maybe lootable armor.. the current system, you can get to the place known as "Droknars Forge" within about 7 hours or less. pay 15K for a complete set of armor that has the same exact stats as the higher more costly armor.. say 15K PER peice armor.. so armor right now is more for looks then anything.

I would also like to see better armor, or maybe lootable armor.. the current system, you can get to the place known as "Droknars Forge" within about 7 hours or less. pay 15K for a complete set of armor that has the same exact stats as the higher more costly armor.. say 15K PER peice armor.. so armor right now is more for looks then anything.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Getting there isn't exactly a walk in the park, tho :D

I'm guessing you have to pay a one-time deal like the original one right? That'd be awesome if they allowed it to be downloadable by current owners :shocking:

• Administrator

Because you have six classes to choose from? Therefore, you have three characters and can beat the game three times. Plus there's unlocking all of the skills and everything too.

what Tarun said =P

plus i'm a hardcore PvP Fan that doesn't really enjoy PvE, when i get a game i want to start killing other people! it's actually quite fun, and may decide to start playin GW again.

I love the rush of running into a group of 4 real players kill all 4 then doing /dance on their corpse haha :shocking:

Okay folks, I've joined the list for the 'free' trial and will be on when it opens tonight. That's 7pm Aust East Daylight Time.

Whom am I looking for so that I don't inadvertently lop ya head off? :D

Haven't created my character yet, but should be Senuty Enool if it gets through :w00t:

Any other hints and tips before I launch? As in what are the pro's and con's for going for an RP character as opposed to a PvP one?

Cheers :shocking:

Well, what can I say.....

I spent nearly 3 hours in Factions and it has to be the most effen boring game I've played to date.

Nothing but PvP......, trying to hold any type of conversation in there is near on impossible, heck I've gotten more sense out of kindergarten kiddies than the crap I saw in there.

I bet none of the people I met wouldn't know what RPG meant let alone know how do it, let alone string 3 words together that make sense....

Yeah, I'm p***ed, wasted heaps of bandwidth downloading this crap for nothing :w00t:

Going to start a "Crappo Meter" ™ for these games and this one gets a -7!

• Administrator

It's more fun when you're with people, and when you know what skills to use. Shame they won't let you try PVE. I'll send you a Guild invite and try to help you with PVP. :shocking:

Thanks for the invite Tarun, but it's not PvP that I've got a problem with :w00t:

Heck, how hard is it to 'point' and 'click' for combat, and 'yes' I realise that there are 'skills' you can use, but then again, how hard is it to push a button? :eyeroll:

In the game that I play there are 9 different weapon styles to use and each of them has it's own moves, with up to 8 moves just for one type of weapon.

Now combine that with 3 basic defence stances which you can modify, I'm sure you're now understanding that you actually have to think to fight/hunt in this game as opposed to GW where it's just good ol' 'point, click'.

I must admit though, that in DR you can just use a generic 'attack' command, but this will leave you off balance and not delivering full blows. 'Attack' is mainly used by newcomers as it can get overwhelming in combat the first few days.

Oh, and one thing I wasn't aware of is that you top out at, 60th is it in GW and can't progress any further? Well, there is NO winner/top level in DR, the game is continuously evolving to match the high end players (we have some at 120+ levels) so that they don't end up with nothing to do.

Even though for a while there when the first few reached 100, the developers where way behind in releasing the new areas for the higher players. This doesn't mean new players can't get into those areas, but it's not advised they go there first up :D

The only thing missing from DR which turns most people off (I'd say up to 95%) is that it's text based, no pictures. But this is also going to change within the next couple of years as Simutronics (DR developers) is in the process of making a graphics based version, which we're all gnashing at the bit for to open, but still a fair way off :D

Might give GW another quick go, but don't think I'll change my mind till I get to have a go at actually RP'ing in game.

Okay, now that the temperatures gone done some at home (and under the collar :D ) I'll try to be a little bit more coherent with my 'arguments'. It's difficult trying to stay 'cool' whilst writing a post when the temp outside is 113 and inside it's 116.

The thing that turned me off was that the moment people found out you were a 'noob' they just completely disregarded you and wouldn't have anything to do with you. It seemed everyone was just more interested in PvP'ing than trying to help out.

The game (Factions), as I've discussed (ad nauseum :D ) seems to be geared towards PvP'ers and as it stands it's a very nice arena for that type of play. But, call me old fashioned (Rawr! Senility Club rulez!) I prefer to actually have conversations with other players and get together as group with common interests (that is In-Game topics/events) and roleplay that out.

For OOC (Out Of Character - everyday talk) we usually flick over to an IM program and discuss toe nail lengths and how to cut them properly there.... you know what I mean, anything out of 'game' :D

I might still give GW another attempt, however this time it'll be at the RPG character level, but from what I've heard from players here it's still not against 'Policy' to have normal day-to-day conversations whilst in-game.

This to me detracts from the overall feel of RP'ing and is why I'm still playing good ol' DR. Been at it there for over 6 years and even though the 'hunting' becomes somewhat mind numbing at times till you level up to next critter level, it's the in-game events/topics that keep me addicted as they continuously change to keep the player base involved and make for an ideal RP'ing environment.

Hopefully the above didn't come off as rant as I've previously posted and I'd like to apologise to the hardcore GW players. Flames weren't directed at you, just at the overall feel of the game from my perspective.

Okay, I'll shut up know............

...... but not for long :lol:

The only thing missing from DR which turns most people off (I'd say up to 95%) is that it's text based, no pictures.  But this is also going to change within the next couple of years as Simutronics (DR developers) is in the process of making a graphics based version, which we're all gnashing at the bit for to open, but still a fair way off :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol, the killer right there. Text based games arent that exciting to me, you dont actually "feel" a part of the game... I duno, i just think most of the fun in a game is the visualls combined with the controls, exploring places and stuff....

)corjello(

The only thing missing from DR which turns most people off (I'd say up to 95%) is that it's text based, no pictures.  But this is also going to change within the next couple of years as Simutronics (DR developers) is in the process of making a graphics based version, which we're all gnashing at the bit for to open, but still a fair way off :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol, the killer right there. Text based games arent that exciting to me, you dont actually "feel" a part of the game... I duno, i just think most of the fun in a game is the visualls combined with the controls, exploring places and stuff....

)corjello(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Text based-games are cool, partially because you can play them anywhere, any time, on pretty much anything (ooh... palm pilot!).

Plus, it makes you use this thing... what was it.. imagination? :eyeroll: :)

I hate PvP, pointless =[

Not pointless... just fun knowing your p***ing someone off and theres nothin they can do about it haha! :)

take for example my PvP skills... back when i was hardcore into Guild wars I had 3 people attackin me with swords and Axes.. and one spell caster (elementalist) all trying to kill me.. I ended up killing all 4 of them and doing /dance on their corpses.. HAHA :)

wish i had saved the screenshots of their replys. one guy told me he would report me as being an exploiter cause theres no way anyone could've pulled that off lol.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...