IE help

Mangix

does anyone know how to fully reinstall IE?

basically, there's an annoying bug with IE where if I click Search, IE crashes along with explorer. i've tried upgrading to IE7 Beta 3 but for some reason, i can't delete(or maybe edit) the regkey "HKCU\Classes\https" and because of that, the installer can't complete the instalation.

edit: also, the main browser that I use is Opera, but my dad still needs IE because of ActiveX.

you will need your Windows XP w/SP2 CD...

lets say you install Windows XP on C:

go to C:\Windows\inf and find a file ie.inf. right click and select Install (context menu)... reboot when all the necessary files are copied...

* inf folder is hidden by default...

OK, I take it that your PC did not come with the WindowsXP disk?

And the "install disk" is loaded onto your hardDrive--correct?

If so:

You can search the "d" drive for the needed files--or-- use the system restore--

which is a good thing IF a restore point is created about every 2 weeks. If there is not a point created then the system defaults back to the install when the computer was new.

There might be a "repair file" option similar to the Win98SE O.S.

I don't use WinXP much, I use Win 2000Pro.

try this:

lunach command prompt (a.k.a. cmd)

register the following dll file one at a time...

regsvr32 shdocvw.dll

regsvr32 shell32.dll

regsvr32 oleaut32.dll

regsvr32 actxprxy.dll

regsvr32 mshtml.dll

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

You can use Dial-a-fix's tools to reinstall IE.  If it asks for the cd, simply point it to your i386 folder.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hint: the following is a list of common paths you can pull the requested files from, provided that they are not corrupted:

* Try the i386 folder on your installation media whenever possible

* iexplore.exe: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer

* iedw.exe: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer

* html32.cnv: C:\Program FIles\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\TextConv

* dhtmled.ocx: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Triedit

* mswrd632.wpc: C:\Program FIles\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\TextConv

* install.ins: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\SIGNUP

* ieinfo5.ocx: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo

i used dial-a-fix to do that but when i clicked it, it didn't do anything. also if anyone wants to know what's wrong with IE, here's an SS.

sshot22ms9.th.png

as you can see, it's not responding due to the search thingy being activated. right now, i'm trying to somehow edit a registry entry or a file to prevent it from launching on IE startup. but if i can't find a way to do that soon, then i guess i'm going to have to reinstall it using MrT's way.

edit:also, that big white space that blocks Google's search bar was a program called Launchy. i used it to launch WinSnap so that it could make the ss.

hmmm. i'm running as Owner(Administrator) right now so i don't think that i should be having permission issues?

i'm trying to repair the permissions right now with dial-a-fix, but it takes a loooooooooong time to analyze them. it's been over 5 minutes.

Hmmm, if it's taking that long I've got a feeling that you have some huge underlying issues with your system. ;P

My reasoning behind this is that when I run DAF, it's done in less than 2 minutes. The only time if took over 5 minutes was after I had major malware/virus infection which on it's own took me 3 hours to rectify.

Not saying you've got malware/virus problems, but you never know.

Cheers :P

allright, this situation is resolved. i rad djlizard's dial-a-fix, but it didn't seem like it did anything. then i tried out his "Repair Permissions" package from his wiki and that worked like a charm. afterwards, i restarted my comp, installed IE7, and the instalation was a sucess. thanks a lot to everyone that helped me. now i can live happy :P .

i know but the batch file provides more info while dial-a-fix just says analyzing some file. and it seems like the batch file was actually faster than dial-a-fix but i could be wrong. also, that batch file is messed up. after it's finished, the secedit.exes continue to remain open :P