November desktops

here's mine for this week. today, i turned on the Themes service and tried out the Zune theme and the Royale Noir theme but both didn't satisfy me. so for right now, i'm sticking with HmmXP's sexiness.

Clean:

sshot5ku8.th.png

Dirty:

sshot4co3.th.png

as always, very highly compressed

JPEG = lossy compression(loss in quality)

PNG = lossless(no loss in quality)

lossy always wins in terms of compression :love:

zaphoctts0.th.png

109kb :love:

What application are you pasting your images into? I just use Photoshop, not even a Save for Web...

PNGOUT. i just use "pngout /i <savepath>" after clicking the print screen button. i also use PNGOUTWin(a GUI for it) which can kick the size down even more(after trying to compress it 6 times).

btw, Photoshop is known to make huge PNG files.

new one for this month. i got tired of the old one so i changed it a little bit. i only changed the wallpaper since the last one that i had was boring me. enjoy!

image2xd1.th.png

as always, highly compressed.

btw zaphirer, i tried re-compressing your PNG file(earlier one) and i kicked the filesize down to 80632 bytes. btw, why do you even have SQL Server installed? or VC++ for that matter :love:

btw, why do you even have SQL Server installed? or VC++ for that matter :love:

Since PNG is a lossless codec, it reduces file size by using pixels of the same color; the wall paper, which makes up the majority of it, is all one color to PNG. So that's how the entire image is only 109KB, even though it's 1280x1024. In a more complex image, like yours or my most recent one, there is a whole bunch of different pixels, etc. so it can't be compressed as much.

G'day Zaphirer,

what's the desktop program your using?

Cheers

G'day to you too :love:

No actual programs, just a Visual Style (.msstyle) and Glass2k, which makes toolbars, windows, etc. transparent.

Glass2k

You can follow this excellent tutorial to fufill all of your customization needs, no 3rd party programs required.

Here.

btw, why do you even have SQL Server installed? or VC++ for that matter :love:

Since PNG is a lossless codec, it reduces file size by using pixels of the same color; the wall paper, which makes up the majority of it, is all one color to PNG. So that's how the entire image is only 109KB, even though it's 1280x1024. In a more complex image, like yours or my most recent one, there is a whole bunch of different pixels, etc. so it can't be compressed as much.

that doesn't really answer me question though. i already know that that's what PNG does(i made a 1024x768 image with all the pixels being black. the smallest i could reduce it to was 174 bytes :love: )

that doesn't really answer me question though. i already know that that's what PNG does(i made a 1024x768 image with all the pixels being black. the smallest i could reduce it to was 174 bytes :love: )

Well, it installed itself with C++ and C# Express editions o.0