Happy Birthday sickchik

Sniper

Thanks guys. I had a very nice birthday. I had as nice dinner and i got a 160 G external HD for my HP. Goodtimes. :happybday:

Makes a good backup disk. :hyper:

Do you mean for data, like personal or like a recovery type thing? I am interested to hear. I have recovery discs, but those are a pain. I also have a D: recovery drive.

Thanks guys. I had a very nice birthday. I had as nice dinner and i got a 160 G external HD for my HP. Goodtimes. :happybday:

Do you mean for data, like personal or like a recovery type thing? I am interested to hear. I have recovery discs, but those are a pain. I also have a D: recovery drive.

Both, or whichever you prefer. Though, if you already have D: (and its a separate disk, not just a partition), then that should be reasonably suitable for backup too.

It's always good to backup important data such as personal stuff.

Having the backup on an external disk is imho extra suitable.

Having backup on another partition of the same disk not a good idea, because if the disk breaks then its gone anyways.

But if D: is a separate disk, then its reasonable good, but if you get virus or some kind of malware, then it can affect it too and remove stuff or destroy data.

Having it on an external disk is good, because if its not connected to the computer, then the data is safe in case the computer gets stolen, explodes, catch fire or there is a power surge, or something like that.

External disk also have the advantage of being easily to store inside a fire-proof safe or a remote location such as bank valve, or second house, summer house, parents house, etc.

Both, or whichever you prefer. Though, if you already have D: (and its a separate disk, not just a partition), then that should be reasonably suitable for backup too.

It's always good to backup important data such as personal stuff.

Having the backup on an external disk is imho extra suitable.

Having backup on another partition of the same disk not a good idea, because if the disk breaks then its gone anyways.

But if D: is a separate disk, then its reasonable good, but if you get virus or some kind of malware, then it can affect it too and remove stuff or destroy data.

Having it on an external disk is good, because if its not connected to the computer, then the data is safe in case the computer gets stolen, explodes, catch fire or there is a power surge, or something like that.

External disk also have the advantage of being easily to store inside a fire-proof safe or a remote location such as bank valve, or second house, summer house, parents house, etc.

Well here's the thing. My D drive is just a partition. My external is kind of internal, it fits in an expansion slot, but can be removed/hot swappable.

I have copied the D drive and added it to my external though. What i kinda dont get is this...if my windows crashes or gets a virus, what are the chances i will even be able to access my external? I know a little, but i am still learning.

Well here's the thing. My D drive is just a partition. My external is kind of internal, it fits in an expansion slot, but can be removed/hot swappable.

I have copied the D drive and added it to my external though. What i kinda dont get is this...if my windows crashes or gets a virus, what are the chances i will even be able to access my external? I know a little, but i am still learning.

If your D drive is just a partition on the same disk as your C, then its not very suitable for backup, since if the disk crashes, its all gone.

If your Windows crashes, then you just format and reinstall, because all your important data is on the external disk, then after you re-installed Windows, you can access the stuff on the external disk and copy back your important files such as documents, photographies, writings, art, etc.

If your D drive is just a partition on the same disk as your C, then its not very suitable for backup, since if the disk crashes, its all gone.

If your Windows crashes, then you just format and reinstall, because all your important data is on the external disk, then after you re-installed Windows, you can access the stuff on the external disk and copy back your important files such as documents, photographies, writings, art, etc.

Right, I know that, that's what i got it for. I just did a reinstall of windows. But basically it is pretty useless for me to copy that recovery partition to my external, right?

Right, I know that, that's what i got it for. I just did a reinstall of windows. But basically it is pretty useless for me to copy that recovery partition to my external, right?

Depends on what is stored on it.

If you do backup of C on D and both C and D are on the same disk, and that disk crash, then you lost what you backed up to D anyways.

Depends on what is stored on it.

If you do backup of C on D and both C and D are on the same disk, and that disk crash, then you lost what you backed up to D anyways.

But thats not what i did. D: Recovery is just a partition my pc makes when i install, so to be honest i dont know what is on it. I am able to reinstall windows without removing my personal data, i think that is what that is for. So it is probably useless for me to copy that 7 gig partition to my external drive. If i hit F10 to do that, i accesses D: Not K: