Problems with DVD Drive + AutoPlay

AutoPlay just doesn't work. For anything. Not one thing. I've got all the settings sorted with Tweak UI, its all enabled, it says so in Tweak UI and in all the properties. But it just doesn't work. Suggestions?

My DVD Drive has been a major pain in the a** recently. It is meant to be able to copy. However, most programs recognise it, but don't recognise that it has a blank CD/DVD in there. I have tried all the programs in the Free Software List in the wiki. The only programs that do pick it up are listed here under CD/DVD.

It does pick up audio CD's (not autoplay of course), but if I go to WMP it plays it.

DVD's it doesn't pick up. If its in the drive, a number of things can happen. I'll try and pen it via My Computer, and it'll freeze. Or I'll open it, but VLC Player/WMP Player will display a choppy sound with no picture, or it will open it, but only some of it will play. This isn't software related, as PowerDVD didn't even pick it up, WMP Player sometimes does, and VLC Player is more prone to display a choppy sound with no picture.

So, help?

This is not a hardware fault but you already felt that coming.

This is a problem you created by using tweakUI. Probably you disabled a serves called Shell Hardware Detection. Go to Start->Run and type services.msc, there you will find a list with services and what status they have; set Shell Hardware Detection on auto and reset your computer, I hope it fixes a part of your problem but I think you messed more up with tweakUI...

As you can see, some "tweaks" and registry settings of that program can break the OS, but I think you just had bad luck with it.

I personally use registry-setting scripts so I always have a rollback of what I did...

- 1 -

try right click the drive icon for your CD drive and select Properties. from there choose the AutoPlay tab, and choose the action for each type of CD.

- 2 -

for TweakUI expand the My Computer branch, then the AutoPlay branch, and then select both Drives and Types.

- 3 -

REGEDIT.EXE

navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom.

double-click the Autorun value, and type 1 for its value.

This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.

AutoFix [V5.2.3790.67]

Time [2007-09-03 12:00:31]

Microsoft Windows Version [5.1 (Service Pack 2) <2600>]

Test [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.] - Instance [N/A]:

Result [AutoStart Setting]: OK

Result [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.]: OK

Test [Policies] - Instance [E:\, Drive Type: 5]:

Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Present}

Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}

Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Present}

Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}

Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}

Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Absent}

Result [Driver level policies]: OK {

HKLM\...\Services\cdrom!Autorun (Present) <Allows>

HKLM\...\Services\cdrom\Parameters!Autorun (Absent) <Allows>

HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysEnable (Absent) <Not set>

HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysDisable (Absent) <Not set> }

Test [Drive Notification] - Instance [E:\, Drive Type: 5]:

Result [Legacy Notification]: OK

Result [AutoPlay V2 Notification]: Problems {

Service (Silent)

Shell (Deaf) }

>> Repair << [Autoplay V2 Event]

Step: No steps to take.

Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.

>> Required action: The wizard found problems but cannot fix them -> None

What now?

Wow this thread is still going? lol

What i would do:

1. find the CD and allow sfc to complete as Tarun suggested.

2. If ya have another computer that has Autoplay working put the drive in that computer and test to see if it works there.

3. If it works there then it's a problem with your computer, not the drive.

4. If it didn't work in step 2 then the drive is faulty... don't continue..

5. Try whats mentioned here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330135

6. Backup and Format if autoplay is really necessary.

Wow this thread is still going? lol

What i would do:

1. find the CD and allow sfc to complete as Tarun suggested.

2. If ya have another computer that has Autoplay working put the drive in that computer and test to see if it works there.

3. If it works there then it's a problem with your computer, not the drive.

4. If it didn't work in step 2 then the drive is faulty... don't continue..

5. Try whats mentioned here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330135

6. Backup and Format if autoplay is really necessary.

Thanks, will try later on.

1. find the CD and allow sfc to complete as Tarun suggested. - Found CD, won't work as drive doesn't accept it!

2. If ya have another computer that has Autoplay working put the drive in that computer and test to see if it works there. - Don't have another PC

5. Try whats mentioned here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330135 - I modified on registry value, still no effect.

6. Backup and Format if autoplay is really necessary. - It isn't so much just AutoPlay, its the fact that I can't play DVD's anymore, look at my first post.

• Administrator

1. find the CD and allow sfc to complete as Tarun suggested. - Found CD, won't work as drive doesn't accept it!

Any error messages with it? Did you try it in another drive? If so, did it work or no?

You need to provide as much information as possible if you want to get these fixed.

re-reading your first post, it sounds more like the cd/dvd drive is dying or has a dirty lens.

from what i gather..

DVD - Will not work at all.

CD - Data CD's don't work, Music CD's sometimes work.

If thats the case the Drive is probably dead.

for example... My personal experience CD/DVD drives break more then any other computer hardware.. I've had 3 DVD/CD drives break beyond recovery.. (well... beyond easy recovery).

out of the 3 drives this is how all 3 broke in order.

DVD - Stopped being able to Burn

DVD - Stopped being able to Play

CD [Data] - Couldn't burn anymore

CD [Data] - Couldn't read anymore

Never tried to use Music CD's. As all music on my computer is mp3's.. but CD's seem to be able to play longer then data.. Due to the fact that music cd's can miss some data and just skip over it. (scratched Music CD's for example still play even after they look like someone took sandpaper to them)

So i'm willing to bet the drive is dead or almost dead. Unless you get a friend or someone to put it in their computer to see if it works and see if blowing in it (in short bursts) with some canned air (not your breath as your breath isn't as clean as canned air)..

If you really wish to see how defective the drive is, take a music cd and run..

http://www.e-systems.ro/diskcheck.htm (go to: http://www.e-systems.ro/activator.asp?DiskCheck for the free activation code)

dunno if using a data cd will work since you say the "drive doesn't accept it!" but worth a try.