CCleaner 2.0

Eldmannen

Anyone tried the new CCleaner 2.0 ?

It just got released as final version, after having been available as beta and release candidate.

It is a complete rewrite. Lots of its shortcomings seems now to have been fixed, from having been coded in Visual Basic, it has been ported to C++. It is now portable, has 64-compatibility and no longer have external dependencies.

Anyone know if it still lacks UTF-8 support?

Anyone know if it still is bundled with that annoying Yahoo! toolbar junk?

• Administrator

The toolbar is optional, but to my knowledge there is no switch to configure a silent install and opt out of the toolbar.

In my wiki I cover why each of those options is bad. Truth be told, they should be removed.

The Memory Dumps cleaning option will remove any memory dumps that are generated when a program crashes on your computer. Many technicians can use these memory dumps to tell you exactly what caused the crash. These memory dumps are also sent to a crash analysis center at Microsoft when you use the Error Reporting feature. Reporting these errors and sending the crash dumps help all users because hotfixes are often issued to fix the very problem that made the program crash.

The Old Prefetch Data cleaning option will decrease your system performance. The impact that cleaning/deleting the prefetch data has on your system is well documented by technicians and Microsoft staff. Prefetch is designed to allow your applications to load faster.

The Hotfix Uninstallers cleaning option will remove every hotfix uninstaller. This is a bad option for CCleaner to have. If you have this option checked and you remove your hotfix uninstallers, should you ever have an issue with an update (hotfix) from Microsoft, you would not be able to uninstall the problematic hotfix. This could potentially result in your system being crippled.

Many people have disabled the "Error reporting" feature. Many people don't feel like sharing with Microsoft, its enough that all other 9999 million people do that. For most people the "memory dumps" are useless, only good for technicians. No point having old memory dumps left on the disk. I think its good that they can be erased.

The Old Prefetch Data indeed does temporarily decrease system performance and shouldn't be cleaned every other day, though it could be good to perhaps use it once a year or so. The prefetch data isn't needed, and I like to be able to clean it if possible.

Most people never uninstall hotfixes. Some have small hard disks, and may want to clean them away for some reason. It should not be enabled by default, but I do like having the option available.

• Administrator

Many people have disabled the "Error reporting" feature. Many people don't feel like sharing with Microsoft, its enough that all other 9999 million people do that. For most people the "memory dumps" are useless, only good for technicians. No point having old memory dumps left on the disk. I think its good that they can be erased.

When users have a problem, many techs will ask if a dump file was generated. By default the dumps are set to be "Small memory dump (64 KB)". That's right, the very small amount of sixty four kilobytes.

Sending in Error Reports are a very good thing. They don't just get sent to Microsoft, they get sent to the software developers as well. This allows your favorite applications to get the necessary updates and fixes to be an even better product.

The Old Prefetch Data indeed does temporarily decrease system performance and shouldn't be cleaned every other day, though it could be good to perhaps use it once a year or so. The prefetch data isn't needed, and I like to be able to clean it if possible.

Without prefetch your applications will load much slower than normal. Even your boot time will change and take longer. Windows already takes care of old prefetch data on it's own in a perfectly normal manner. Much better and far more efficient than the sloppy manner of CCleaner.

Most people never uninstall hotfixes. Some have small hard disks, and may want to clean them away for some reason. It should not be enabled by default, but I do like having the option available.

True that most people never install Hotfixes, but there are many who do have to uninstall hotfixes. Cleaning them removes the uninstaller that they need.

A common argument for many of these is "small hard drives". Well if you're that cramped for space you need to upgrade. More than likely you'd need to upgrade more than just your hard drive.

its enough that all other 9999 million people do that.

Care to cite your sources on this or do you just always work from a fully-engaged shotgun of hyperbole?

For most people the "memory dumps" are useless, only good for technicians.

Correct. I'm not expecting users to do anything with them except send them. The memory dumps that CCleaner cleans are crash dump logs from blue screens of death, not AOL Instant Messenger or some such. Blue screens of death, like kernel panics, need to be fixed immediately or data/computer loss occurs. If you don't send the reports and/or just delete them, your problem never gets solved. Since end-users don't know what "memory dumps" are and probably won't even notice that CCleaner is cleaning them away, there is nothing for a technician to work from once they finally take their computer into a shop (which of course will be after it's too late anyway). Sometimes OCA will directly tell you that your memory is bad/failing or that your hard drive is failing. Are you telling me you'd rather not know about that kind of information? Would you rather not help others find out that their hardware is faulty through Microsoft by way of your sent dumps? OCA aggregates information to better serve those who send them.

No point having old memory dumps left on the disk.

Yeah, I guess not; they're just taking up mere kilobytes of space that could be better served by something more useful, like tracking cookies.

Old Prefetch Data [...] could be good to perhaps use it once a year or so.

Why? Cleaning it a year from now is the same as cleaning it right now. The prefetch data is deleted and new ones are put in place whenever new or updated applications are launched. It rotates all the time and has an upper limit set. It's pointless to clean it, period. It's placebo bullshit.

The prefetch data isn't needed, and I like to be able to clean it if possible.

Then turn off the prefetcher through its registry setting. That should be an enjoyable experience!

Actually, MajorGeeks has a pinned post on their forum with instructions for debugging memory dumps: HOW TO: Debug Memory Dumps (Figure out what is causing a BSOD)

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246

With those instructions, I think any moderately advanced user could manage it.

Sending in Error Reports are a very good thing. They don't just get sent to Microsoft, they get sent to the software developers as well. This allows your favorite applications to get the necessary updates and fixes to be an even better product.

I agree, sending in reports is good. But there are millions of people who do it, since it is activated by default. Since the option is available, I happily opt-out.

Without prefetch your applications will load much slower than normal. Even your boot time will change and take longer. Windows already takes care of old prefetch data on it's own in a perfectly normal manner. Much better and far more efficient than the sloppy manner of CCleaner.

You got a point there, I agree. But I think a cleaner is more than system optimization, cleaning of temporary and unused files, etc. I think it is a privacy tool too, and I like the option of being able to instantly wipe any trace of files/programs on-demand.

its enough that all other 9999 million people do that.

Care to cite your sources on this or do you just always work from a fully-engaged shotgun of hyperbole?

Fully-engaged shotgun of hyperbole.

Point is, there is many who use Windows, and error reporting is activated by default. Does not really matter, if I opt-out, which I happily do.

The prefetch data isn't needed, and I like to be able to clean it if possible.

Then turn off the prefetcher through its registry setting. That should be an enjoyable experience!

When I said prefetch is not needed, I said it because its not essential to the operating of the computer. Of course, I would not disable it through the registry settings, as I am aware there would be a performance penalty. I like the choice of being able to instantly clean it on demand though.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems an update to version 2.0 got released.

Which is v2.01.

New in this version is "- Files winsys.ini and winreg.ini are now embedded in the EXE."

What a bunch of idiots. MrG can suck it.

Whats wrong with that?

I am having more and more problems with NCleaner. Its not recognizing my cookie exceptions, and doesn't thoroughly clean FF (it doesn't remove the autosearch stuff).