Upgrading your computer

Tarun

Hardware Upgrades  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want to upgrade the most this year?

• Hard Drive
    • Graphics Card
    • Power Supply
    • Network Card
    • Monitor
    • Keyboard/Mouse
    • Speakers
    • CD/DVD Drive
    • Sound Card
    • Motherboard
    • Processor
    • RAM

Recently (past few days), I upgraded my power supply unit because I suspected the one I had was getting bad.

Turned it wasn't, but oh well, at least now I got better and decent power supply unit.

A Corsair VX450W. It has sleeved cables, higher energy efficiency (80 PLUS), and feels overall good quality.

What I need to upgrade is my monitor, since I am stuck with an 19" CRT. But it is such an hard decision, which requires compromising. I hate to compromise.

I want a <10mm thin LED monitor with <1ms delay, no ghosting, no bleeding. :D

I’m going for the new line from nVidia, if the price on there upcoming 9600GT is right then I might pick that one. Now I’m using a temporary card, just a 7200GS (cheapest I could find).

I have the 8600GT, it is alright. I can play games with it, it performs okay.

9600GT will be a little better/faster I guess. But it will still have DirectX 10, it won't have DirectX 10.1. But 10.1 is not a big change, its just a small unimportant change anyways.

I heard the 9600GT wont be much better than 8600GT, which I heard wasn't much better than the 7600GT.

9600GT will probably be a decent choice for most people. It will probably satisfy most people, except the hardcore who wont settle for anything but 9800 or better.

The specs that leaked out show some thing different, how about half the calculation power of he 8800GTS (G92) and the same memory bandwidth, also supporting the upcoming DirectX 10.1. :D

Yeah, I read that it would be worse than 8800 (G92), but slightly better than 8600.

I read that it only supported DirectX 10, not 10.1, but oh well, remains to be seen...

• 5 months later...

Hard drive for me... I've already got lots, but it's filling up fast (funny how that happens, no?). I'm hoping to move my file server from 2x250GB//2x1TB//6x500GB to 2x750GB//8x1TB. I'll move four of the 500GB drives into my workstation in RAID10, and the two 320's in my workstation to my computer at work.

I think I might have found a source for cheap 1TB drives... ($150 a piece) :)