Sign in to follow this  
hazelnut

restore points

Just a thought that occured to me.

Would there would be any point in advising people, after they have done HJT logs which involve repairing damage to their system, to delete all prevous restore points and make a new one?

I just wondered....

Yes, but at what time do you stop keeping them?

I haven't rebuilt my system for over 14 months now (have had no major problems -- yet, fingers crossed) and that's going to make for a lot of restore points.

I tend to keep the last 6 as anything more than that is going to create confusion to a degree as I've no idea whats changed in all that time.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers :hug:

so after reading this thread i guess its a good idea to scan for virus with restore "off". i never thought of that but makes perfect sense. what other settings do you guys recomend to ensure a full and complete scan. in safe mode maybe?

I only leave System Restore enabled because it is the only way to make automatic, full backups of the registry hives (exporting a .reg is not the same) and I'm too lazy to run programs that make registry backups (such as ERUNT). The backups are stored in System Volume Information, and can be pulled by a technician (like me) when a registry hive blows up (such as SYSTEM). Other than that, actually using System Restore for anything is a bad idea.