Installing Win.98SE

Inu-ya

Hi, I have Win.98SE here and I was wondering how do you Install it on a system that has Windows Xp Professional Sp2. will I need to reformat or... what! :hello:

I'm wanting to have Win.98SE on the same system and as my 2nd OS

G'day Inu-ya,

I have no idea how this is done but do have a question?

Why would you want to do that? Most (I'd say 97.5%) programs are backwards compatible and if not you only need to change the properties of the file to run as 'Win98 Compatability'.

Cheers :hello:

G'day Inu-ya,

I have no idea how this is done but do have a question?

Why would you want to do that?  Most (I'd say 97.5%) programs are backwards compatible and if not you only need to change the properties of the file to run as 'Win98 Compatability'.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well, I have my reason for it. I'll see what goes down once I have the time.

• Administrator

Windows Dual - And Multi - Booting

Windows XP Dual Boot

Google Results

Microsoft's website has a plethora of information as well!

Multibooting in Windows XP

HOW TO: Create a Multiple-Boot System with Windows XP (Q306559)

Just be careful, some sites might tell you to Google It, but aren't you glad we're not one of them. ^^'

• 1 year later...

Ahh... man! I have to reformat and Install 98 first before I can Install Xp. O well. But that sucks

I'm running 3 OS's on a 300 gig PATA. 98se, xp, PCLinux. Rule of thumb with windows is the older one first. I have some old

games from 98 that will not run on XP home or pro. Thats the only reason I have 98.

Windows 98 is like a decade old.

It's a really bad idea to run Windows 98, not only because it is a very bad operating system (the 9x kernel was horrible), but because its outdated and vulnerable and there are no patches anymore, and not all new software may run on it. Unstable, poor memory management,

Better to use Windows XP with SP2 (or Windows 2000, if you don't have XP), or Linux.

Ahh... man! I have to reformat and Install 98 first before I can Install Xp. O well. But that sucks

I'm running 3 OS's on a 300 gig PATA. 98se, xp, PCLinux. Rule of thumb with windoze is the older one first. I have some old

games from 98 that will not run on XP home or pro. Thats the only reason I have 98.

You actually don't need Win98 loaded to play the old games.

Go here Abandonia and check under the 'Utilities' section, might find what you're looking for.

If the game isn't "prehistoric" it should play under a DOS window in XP or if it is like DooM2, it can be loaded in the system32 folder. With some tweaking, it will play with no problems.

I play Doom 2, without any tweaks or anything, works awesome.

It becomes double-awesome with Doom Legacy.

If the game isn't "prehistoric" it should play under a DOS window in XP or if it is like DooM2, it can be loaded in the system32 folder. With some tweaking, it will play with no problems.

Never tried DL, DooM2 seems to like Win XP pro better than home, Svc pack 2 makes a big difference also. When I loaded D2 in, XP was fairly new.

Never tried DL, DooM2 seems to like Win XP pro better than home, Svc pack 2 makes a big difference also. When I loaded D2 in, XP was fairly new.

Oh, but then you gotta try Doom Legacy, it is awesome.

High-resolution, translucency, OpenGL, freelook mouse, 32 players multiplayer support, Quake-like console, crosshairs, jumping, etc.

Oh, but then you gotta try Doom Legacy, it is awesome.

High-resolution, translucency, OpenGL, freelook mouse, 32 players multiplayer support, Quake-like console, crosshairs, jumping, etc.

Cool! Sounds like a definate download!!

all this talkin about Doom makes me want to reinstall it... i miss those old school FPS games.

Still have all my original CD's, Covers, and CD Cases too =P.

Yeah, you should.

With Doom Legacy its like Doom 2.0 or Doom Reloaded, or whatever. :hello:

Archived