Windows 7 Performance and Usability

Tarun

• Administrator

So how does everyone feel about Windows 7?

I really enjoy Windows 7. Everything works very well and it's quite responsive. I'm currently using Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and I love it. I could never be convinced to go back to Windows Vista, XP, or any other for that matter. Besides, there's always VMs for nostalgia. :P

Yeah, I understand that you cant go back to XP because it is so old, outdated, legacy.

I run Windows 7 x64 at work on a high-end workstation machine, but I don't "use" Windows 7 so much, because I'm mostly in Visual Studio 2010 which sometimes becomes unresponsive, but thats probably some bugs in Visual Studio rather than Windows 7 acting up.

I don't think Windows Vista and 7 have so good usability. Maybe I need to get more accustomed. I think Windows XP and GNOME have good usability.

I prefer Ubuntu, which is what I run at home.

I think GNOME have great usability, the current version is 2.32 and the next version will be 3.0 in which there are much changes, if usability is lost in 3.0, then perhaps Mac OS X is the system with best usability?

• 4 months later...

Hi, my name is Crazy Lou. I used to have XP then Vista. I hated Vista I can"t put my finger on it but it sucked big time ! I now have Windows 7. I just Love it ! It kind kind of like driving a lousy car and all of a sudden you win a " BMW " IN A lottery. From walking around bare foot to wearing " Nike Air JORDANS ! " Windows 7 and a good computer are hard to beat ! You can do any thing you want almost ! take care Crazy Lou :inlove:

• 1 month later...

i too dove in into windows 7 now ! its a lot better than xp or virus i mean ''vista''....i had a hell of a time to get windows 7 64x to load .so please heads up on this one my actions where the following i had a vista disc, which was what was this p/c before wipe out to xp...there was no way win 7 would load so i loaded ''vista'' first loaded all drivers etc next loaded win 7 so what the moo?? anybody knows why no stright load in of win 7 ???

The short answer is there are only a few upgrade paths that are reliable, not all Vista or 7 upgrades will work either. XP is not on the upgrade path list.

Here's a few that are not upgrade paths to Windows 7:

95, 98, ME, XP, Vista (RTM, Starter), 7 (Beta, IDS, M3, RC).

I also believe nearly all the Server releases from NT 4.0 to 2008 R2 are also non upgradable to Windows 7 - someone may want to confirm this. I would locate the most recent Windows 7 Upgrade Paths document, maybe something has changed with Windows 7 SP1.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been using Windows 7x64 Since the First Beta. I have Never Once had it Crash on me. I have had programs crash or become locked up.

Microsoft has worked really hard at fixing the problem when a single program crashes it over takes the whole operating system. Might have something to do with a Linux Dude working for Microsoft.

I use Windows 7x64 on everything i can. I don't think i have even installed the x86 version, but im sure it would work just as well.

My only complaint would be that it uses a lot of memory to run its self, so you need at least 2gb to be stable. 4gb if you think about doing a lot of stuff with it.

Windows XP is only good for installing a VM on your system to keep the load down memory wise.

Archived