Firefox extensions. Which do you use?

corjello

I am alwase finding awsome extensions for FF and i was thinking we could all see what each other use. heres mine

Edit - Updated with new extensions thanks to the replies (#9, 10, 11)

1. Forecastfox - Displays weather anywhere on your info bars

2. Smooth Wheel - Instead of the page jumping when using a middle wheel, it scrolls

3. Customize Google - Adds nice features to searches in google (removes ads, auto link to full size image)

4. Download Manager Tweak - Adds nice options to the download manager

5. Mouse Gestures - Allows me to preform commands with my mouse (back, new tab, exit)

6. Adblock - Er.. Blocks ads by right-clicking and selecting block

7. Foxy Tunes - Displays current song in any info bar from Winamp, Itunes, Windows Media Player, anything

8. IE Veiw - Automatically opens a page in IE when i click a link to that page in FF (for some reason Windows Media Player doesnt work in my FF so i have to use IE)

9. Disable Target for Downloads - No more popup windows for downloads.

10. Tab Browser Preferances - Adds nice customizations to tabs

11. Firetune - Configures complex settings to speed up internet web page loading

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Here's what I'm using on Firefox 1.5.0.1 RC2.

CuteMenus Crystal SVG - Icons in the menus.

TabBrowser Preferences - Customize your tabs to suit your needs.

Download Manager Tweak - Enhances the download window.

Disable Target for Downloads - No more popup windows for downloads.

DictionarySearch - You can have up to four dictionaries. I personally have a Dictionary.com menu entry and a SysInfo.org entry (Useful for checking HijackThis logs).

Old, no longer used by me:

BugMeNot - No more registering for websites (FileFront, WashingtonPost.com, etc)

Allow Right Click - Do I really need to explain? :hello:

Okay, thanks for that Tarun :hello: , I'll give it another go and see how it plays out.

Quick question Tarun, any chance of putting a short description against the extensions you use, it'll save a lot of searching and reading and will allow numpties like me to make a semi-coherent decision about what to use.

The reason I'm asking for this is so that I don't bloat out FF with extensions I may not need.

Cheers :D

no mouse gestures for any of you? its so usefull, just hold down left click and draw a shape, viola! a shortcut command!

do you need to do any options (i saw a synchronize button or something) after you install the extension? Also, i think you would like to know that development of adblock has slowed down a bit, and now most people are using adblock plus (not me, im sticking with the official) the devs of adblock have never said its dead, and they do not say that plus is the official version now. Take your side, i like the original. Also, i dont know if the official addon.mozzila site has been updated, but the newest version is 5.2.055. if you need the link, just reply. (the link is posted on their forums)

i really like that Filter G thing. I dont think its made by the same people. The new adblock was supposed to be a bug fix to make it more friendly with FF1.5

)corjello(

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

One post about Fasterfox.

Good idea, poorly implemented

by Ben, Monday, November 28 2005

A few things irk me about this extension, which I *have* used, so please don't delete my perfectly valid feedback. a) Out-of-the-box it's configured to aggressively commandeer connections and bandwidth B) People's callous disregard for websites' bandwidth and connections. Not everyone has a dozen popups / is evil bla bla bla. Certainly though, plenty of people can't afford excess bandwidth rates - like $70/gb from some Australian hosts. This is a product which was undoubtably produced for 'the right reasons' but in inherently flawed. Realistically, it should be a (great) aid to people on dial up connections, with negligible "idle" bandwidth and finite limits to just how much they can realistically prefetch. Best case scenario, it's deployed on 'conservative' and the maximum 'idle bandwidth' is throttled so that website owners are actually considered. Unfortunately, it's use by people with multi-megabit connections will only cause an unhappy ending for someone small, when someone big steps all over them for bringing their server to a halt. Please, repair the software so that it actually detects the users speed and if it's above xx kb/sec, make it do absolutely nothing. Best case scenario, throttle the maximum 'idle bandwidth' and add something so that sites can detect it the moment a user with it arrives at the site. To put the onus on website owners to get bigger/better hardware and more bandwidth (hundreds/thousands of dollars a month) simply to allow broadband users to save 'a few seconds a day' is morally wrong. To write it off as somehow being the website's fault or that they will recoup their losses with advertising is short-sighted . Extension developers and website owners need to work together. You can't improve the web by breaking sites & servers, but with the feedback any sane website owner could provide you could have launched this product on day 1 as one amazing asset to dial up users.

• 1 month later...

heres a newer list.

Forecastfox

Adblock

SmoothWheel

IE View

CustomizeGoogle

Disable Targets for Downloads

Mouse Gestures

Adblock Filterset.G Updater

Viamatic foXpose

Tabbrowser Preferences

FoxyTunes

Viamatic foXpose is pretty slick. Lets you click a little box on your browser that shows all your tabs in little thumbnails. Helps when you have many tabs open.

should we just edit our original posts or continue the thread?

)corjello(

yes, i noticed that when i updated. Im keeping it right now because im hoping that they will release an update. Did you use Firetune?

Tarun do you want me to make an updated list of extensions for people to look at? kind of like the freeware list? Id be happy to do so

)corjello(

yes, i noticed that when i updated. Im keeping it right now because im hoping that they will release an update. Did you use Firetune?

Tarun do you want me to make an updated list of extensions for people to look at? kind of like the freeware list? Id be happy to do so

)corjello(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I've been using Firetune for a while now, and love it :)

You can add a list of cool themes to the list, too :)

I personally use Qute, it's pretty simple but I think it looks better than the rather plain Mozilla one.

You might want to add NoScript, it disables Javascript so it can be very useful for ad-less browsing + avoiding junky stuff. However, a lot of websites use javascript, so you're going to have to keep that in mind when you keep clicking on a menu and nothing happens :)

• Administrator

)corjello(

Sure, pop it into the tweaks section.

These extensions are great, thanks for the list =)

EDIT: Smooth wheel doesn't work with 1.5.01... I haven't tried the others yet but so far they're pretty cool!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Smooth Wheel is now compatible, head over to the new list to get the download link.

im happy now :)

)corjello(

martijn, i am strongly suggesting that you remove fasterfox. If you are wondering why, read the previouse posts in this thread. We suggest running FireTune for speeding up Firefox. Ive got a ton of homework, plus baseball tryouts; so im going to add theses after i look at them probably during the weekend or a weekday that we somehow manage not to have homework.

)corjello(