How to Make a Bootable Antivirus Disc

This is from Matt Rizos at Remove-Malware.Com

How to Make a Bootable Antivirus Disc ****Warning Please Note This is not for Novice Pc Users****

Purpose of this document.

This document will teach you how to make a bootable anti-malware ( bootable antivirus ) cd/dvd step-by-step.

Why Bootable Antivirus?

In a bootable environment we are running a stripped down version of windows in a ram disk (programs are loaded directly into ram), thus the hard drive on the PC is treated as attached storage (like a flash drive). In this state malware (malware consists of viruses, trojans, spyware, adware, rootkits, etc) is helpless and totally at your mercy. This is the best free way to remove any piece of malware with a 100% success rate.

Steps:

Please follow all the steps below:

1. Go to http://ubcd4win.com/downloads.htm

2. Select a mirror with a green status. (like "Mirror#3" for example)

3. When you click on the mirror it will take you to another site where the download will be available.

4. Click the download link for Ultimate Boot CD and save the download to wherever you download stuff.

5. Once the installer has been downloaded double click it.

6. Choose your language

7. Click next about 3 more times and select the file path where you would like to install ultimate boot cd 4 win. Please note that you should have a drive with at least 5-10 gb of free space to allow for future plugin growth. I will choose C:\UBCD4Win. The install should take a few minutes.

8. Click Yes to the MD5 Hash Check. The install will continue once the hash check succeeds.

9. Click Yes to see if a patch file exists.

10. Click the checkbox to launch ubcd4winbuilder.exe.

11. Click the "i agree" button.

12. Click "NO" to searching for windows files.

13. Obtain a windows xp operating system disc w/SP2.

14. Explore the disc and copy the entire content (all the folders and files on the windows xp cd) to any location on your computer. You should allocate at least 700 MB of free space for the windows xp disc.

15. Open UBCD4win (if it's not already open). Click Source browse button (3 dots ...) and browse to your i386 folder. My path was C:\WindowsXPcd\ for example.

16. Next go to the media output section and choose a spot for your ISO image to be created. This ISO can be burned with almost any burning software. Once the ISO is burned it will be bootable.

17. Next, click the plugins button. Don't be too overwhelmed here, actually you should be very happy! Look at all those plugins!

18. Now it's time to update our anti-malware software packages.

19. The first one I have on my list is a-squared free anti-spyware. Click that line and then click the config button. A command prompt will automatically open and start downloading the latest updates for that program...totally awesome, isn't it!

20. So, now you need to update all the anti-malware programs in our plugin list. Click each one and then hit the config button.

21. After you're done configing/updating your plugins click the close button.

22. Next, click Build.

23. Click yes to create a directory and then click i agree.

24. At this point your ISO is created and is ready to be burned.

****Warning Please Note This is not for Novice Pc Users****

Here is also the video of how to do this, http://remove-malware.com/how-to-build-a-b...re-disc-videos/

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for this....I have burned more coasters trying to make a bootable CD ! hopefully now I will be able to remedy this. I either get an ISO image on the CD or it refuses to boot ! Been going nuts. Enjoyed the videos. You must have a profound understanding of PCs. I have discovered the the MORE I know about PCs, the LESS I know about PCs. LOL Thanks, again !!

13. Obtain a windows xp operating system disc w/SP2.
The UBCD FAQ says the minimum requirement is a disc that's slipstreamed with SP1 or later. I gather from this that you only need SP1, and that you don't need an original disc - it can be one slipstreamed with the service pack. They have a page with help slipstreaming, too - either using Autostreamer or a more manual method using Bart's PE.

Of course, of you're going to the effort of making a slipstreamed disc, you'll want to use the latest SP - but of you have an SP1 disc (like I do), I guess you could use that.

• 3 weeks later...

They still do, The Alternate Operating System Scan is designed to be a last resort, used to get Windows back into a state in which Spyware Doctor for Windows can do its job. Therefore, it only scans files and registry keys that are defined in the refdb database. It does not remove directories.

If AOSS detects any infected files or Windows Registry keys, a list of these is displayed. If a valid Spyware Doctor License has been found on your computer, you can then proceed to clean the Windows operating system. AOSS then removes files and Windows Registry keys resulting from malware infections. If a file cannot be removed by AOSS, it is overwritten with information about the type of malware identified within it and the filename extension is changed to '.sdf' (Spyware Doctor File).

If a valid license of Spyware Doctor is not found, you may still clean your system once with AOSS. http://www.pctools.com/aoss/

A quick search found several other free bootable AV discs, there are links to 5 (plus one more in the replies) here: http://www.techmixer.com/free-bootable-ant...-download-list/

I tried downloading the Avira RescueCD, but the file wouldn't run. Corrupted download, I suppose; it's such a long download on dialup that I didn't try again.

The others are from Kaspersky, F-Secure, BitDefender, and one called Trinity Rescue Kit (which has "ClamAV, AVG, F-Prot, and BitDefender integrated in a single uniform command line with online update capability"), plus Dr. Web.

So there's no shortage of choices - those are all Linux-based, however, which would create some limitations in working with your Windows files. I wouldn't be able to connect with the Internet, either, with my stupid softmodem...

As for Spyware Doctor - I tried the free version, Spyware Doctor Starter Edition, about a year ago; never saw so many false positives before. It's a resource hog, too, even with the limited protection in that version. Have to agree with Tarun, it's no good.

I made a UBCD4Win disc, and it works - at least, it boots, and I can run scans. I don't know how to use most of the tools included, so I don't really know how many of them work. I'll have to spend some time studying before I can fully utilize the thing.

I made a slipstreamed iso of XP with SP3 using AutoStreamer, which is really easy to do. Then I used 7-Zip to copy the files out of the .iso into a folder - instead of burning it to a CD and then copying the files off of the CD - and built from that. Seemed to work just fine.

If, when you're updating the plugins, you want to enable the Kaspersky tool, be advised that it will then download the whole 32 MB. Allow enough time for that if you want that scanner; I skipped it, since I'm on dialup and I didn't have a couple hours to spare.