What Security Programs Do You Use?

When I downloaded it last, it ask about buying it or... something. "Can't remember that well" But anyways I'm glad its free but I need the link. I'm willing to give it a spin again.

I did some testing early last week and I didn't do to good on a firewall test. It best rate was 5 of 5 and I got 0! I need a good Firewall that is free and I know some but which one is the best?

I did the test out from the Avast Forums Here. Ok, i'll give it a shot

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, I run the maintenance for my parents comp and I'm home for the holidays. I was wondering if the arovax shield (which is interesting me greatly) uses alot of CPU and RAM because this is a laptop with only 512 ram and a 1.4ghz processor. I'm running MSAS which I'm quite pleased with, but I'm only willing to run one resident scanner, because the computer is a little slow as it is :cuddle:

So what do you recommend for a resident scanner, arovax or MSAS? I haven't had a problem with MSAS, and normally I go by the old proverb "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but that arovax shield seems pretty **** good from some of the reviews and recommendations from fellow forum members.

Your Antispyware somewhat-literate friend,

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

I use this following program for my computer

Anti Virus:

Nod32 Anti-Virus 2.5

Anti Malware:

Spyware Blaster

Ad-Aware Personal

HijackThis

Firewall:

Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall

Other:

CCleaner

Easy Cleaner

RegSeeker

That all in my computer (i think)...

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my collection:

Resident Antivirus

AVG 7.1 Free

On-demand Antivirus Scanners

BitDefender 8 Free Edition

Mcaffee A.V.E.R.T. Stinger

Avast Software Cleaner

On-demand Malware Scanners

Ewido Free

HijackThis!

Realtime Antispyware

Microsoft AntiSpyware

SpywareBlaster

On-demand Spyware Tools

CWShredder

AboutBuster

HSRemove

Kill2Me

<Edit> I forgot - AdAware SE Personal

On-demand Rootkit Detector

RootkitRevealer

System Monitor

WinPatrol

Firewall

WinXP SP2 Built-in

Cleaners

CCleaner

EasyCleaner

HDCleaner

Miscellaneous

FirelogXP - Reads XP Firewall logs

Who's Connected? - Reveals programs that are connected to the internet

Xpy - Disables selected XP services. I just use it to kick-start the XP Firewall.

<Edit> I forgot the most important thing:

Browser

Firefox

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mostly just updated. You guys use alot of programs to protect your PC lol. All i need and use are.

Outpost Firewall (excellent)

Also used with Windows Firewall SP2

e-Trust Anti-Virus

and Windows Defender. And my computer runs smooth and error free. No need for these extra little programs. and BTW CCleaner is now Adware. Alot of those extra programs are unneeded. All you need to

make sure you do is have your Mal-ware Prevention program and anti-virus program have scheduale scans that run everynight and show the results so you can check them when you get on in the morning.

Mostly just updated. You guys use alot of programs to protect your PC lol. All i need and use are.

Outpost Firewall (excellent)

Also used with Windows Firewall SP2

e-Trust Anti-Virus

and Windows Defender. And my computer runs smooth and error free. No need for these extra little programs. and BTW CCleaner is now Adware. Alot of those extra programs are unneeded. All you need to

make sure you do is have your Mal-ware Prevention program and anti-virus program have scheduale scans that run everynight and show the results so  you can check them when you get on in the morning.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So far I do agree with you because the only program (out of my list) that ever detects anything is Adaware, and it's usually cookies. (yes CCleaner is marked as Adware, but the slim version does not meet that criteria) :cry:

EDIT to my original post: Include eTrust, and the Defender upgrade. I must have been drunk when I wrote that.

beer.gif

j/k LOL

• 1 month later...

:P i have symantec antivirus corp edition 9, which i got it from the company i worked previously... but it didnt find anything so far, so i decided to remove it... i also have zonealarm free installed, but it uses too much resources... and the new version actually slow down my system start up... there it goes... :) oh... my modem dont come with a firewall...

Symantec is not very good, and it uses too many resources; you're well rid of it. You should have an AV program, though. Using Firefox, you won't need it often; but when you need it, you really need it. A better firewall would be a good idea, too. There are others less bloated than zonealarm, read through this thread for recommendations.

i dont know about antivirus... i hate them... as for firewall, i have only used ZoneAlarm (beside ICF)... but the majority seems to be using Outpost... maybe i will give it a try... ZoneAlarm really going down hill...

oh... i forget to include Spywareblaster in my previous post...

• 2 weeks later...

Totally changed my list:

Antivirus:

eTrust EZ Antivirus - http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

Firewall:

ZoneAlarm Pro - http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/cata...amp;lid=nav_pro

On-Demand Anti-Spyware:

Spybot - Search & Destroy - http://www.spybot.info

Ad-Aware SE Personal - http://www.lavasoft.com/support/download

Spyware Blaster - http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Disk Cleaners:

Disk Cleanup - Included in Windows

Disk Defragmenter - Included in Windows

A lot. Upon being told that all optimizers/registry cleaners/tuners can cause critical damage if they screw up, I ended up uninstalling a lot of programs.

I also got rid of Ewido, I simply don't like having lots of anti-spyware programs that can conflict, especially one whcih installs a service.

I also reverted back to ZoneAlarm Firewall, as Outpost was causing serious problems.