What type of network do you have at home?

Tarun

What type of network do you have at home?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What type of network do you have at home?

• Direct to the modem
    • Wireless 802.11A
    • Wireless 802.11B
    • Wireless 802.11G
    • Wireless 802.11 Draft/Pre-N

How do you like your Belkin?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This Belkin router has been good, the last one needed restarting at least once a week, because it would get to the stage where it just would not do anything, luckily it got destroyed when the area where I live got hit by a bad lightning strike.

I got this one a few days later and it has not had to be restarted since the day I set it up, which was a few months ago.

I hopefully wont need to restart this one until I get upgraded to 8 meg broadband, which is taking longer to happen than I at first thought it would.

I like the fact that Belkin products come with a lifetime guarantee, therefore I buy Belkin as much as possible.

You can also phone their helpline 24 hours a day if need be.

Warning, Tarun, i recently bought the new PC World magazine and it completely bashed the new N based wireless routers, after a good 4 or 5 page article, they sumarized saying it had potential, but to wait until the N starndards are set.

)corjello(

well, considering they are a major pc tech magazine, i would trust them. they arent just some random person shouting advice, they actuallyt tested multiple wirless N routers, and all preformed subpar. Tarun, sometimes you worry me that you dont trust anyone but yourself.

)corjello(

• Administrator

I would trust reviews by users more than any high end company. Magazines, websites and other reviews often get payoffs to have their product ranked higher.

Quite often I consult with techs to get their opinions on things moreso than looking at something like Consumer Reports.

• Administrator

OH YEAH. I definitely wouldn't trust PC World reviews.

Reviews of Wireless N routers.

They rated NETGEAR as being the very best. ...That's sad. NETGEAR and Linksys are the cheapest in price and quality. NETGEAR routers often overheat. Linksys are a bit better but have a lot of issues themselves. (UPnP, WPA, etc...) Those two brand names are quite literally "Wal-Mart" routers. They're dirt cheap and probably Made in China too. I know techs and even some teachers I've had say to avoid those (NETGEAR and Linksys) routers completely.

• 2 weeks later...

Please Tarun... PLEASE dont' buy a pre-N router. There's no guarantee that the final standard is going to be the same as what all the various companies have interpreted it as. I'm guessing that you'll be wasting a good deal of money on such a router.

A much better and safer bet - Linksys WRT54GL with Thibor 15c firmware. It's the best router that $55 can buy, and it'll be rock solid stable for you. I've had mine running here at home for the past 3 months without any reboots, and it's never dropped me once.

It's the one thing in my entire network that I don't have to worry about anymore. :D

Please remember to keep your router unobstructed and free from clutter people.

I have been suffering serious slowdowns with web pages, and IM programs disconnecting lately. I was not sure why at first, so tonight I changed the microfilter and then started checking all the connections on the router, (after moving the pile of cd's that had accumulated in front of it, which had slowly started to slide backwards, hence covering it).

I could not find any bad connections or anything, so I was going to wait until tomorrow before calling belking technical support, the problems continued a bit after moving all the cd's but has slowly but surely got back to how it should be. I guess the router just needed to cool down a bit before functioning properly.

I am just glad I found out what was wrong now, because in the next couple of days my speed is being upgraded from 2Mbps to 8Mbps, I would of started blaming it on that somehow.

Please remember to keep your router unobstructed and free from clutter people.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a good tip. I'm not sure how much that kind of clutter would inhibit the waves, but I'm sure an alarm clock or something dense would at least slow it down.

Side note: I just started (re-using) MSN/Windows Live! Add me :P

• 2 months later...

i have a simple Linksys router and quite honestly the only reason why i bought it becouse it was on sale. now of course i'm wishing that i bought something a little more robust all the way around but oh well, so far i havn't had any problems with it.